Losing My Religion

Start from the beginning

Marcus stiffened noticeably at the mention of the captain's name. Why the Seafarers need be informed completely escaped him. Hell, he hadn't told his own captain about the recognizance work he'd been involved in. In fact, he hadn't completed any of his duties for today, which could get him in big trouble.

Persephone spun around to walk back down the hallway, on another mission. Ben felt like a critical supporting character in this unfolding drama, much like Watson to Doctor Holmes (if Holmes had been a woman, and Watson a glorified accountant.)

He'd lent several of those books to Meg when she was discovering her love of the written word. She'd devoured the first tale within twenty-four hours and begged for the next.

Ben thought back to the conversations that he and Meg would have late into the night after Laura had gone to bed. They'd light the natural gas fireplace in his study and talk about books and music, neither of them concerned about sleep.

The light in Meg's eyes and the smile on her lips as she recounted the adventure stories or when he described the music he was listening to were priceless memories to Ben. She came alive in those chats and for a few fleeting moments, Ben could see the intelligence, the passion, and the compassion his adopted daughter usually hid from the world.

The memories brought a few stinging tears to Ben's eyes as he hustled behind Persephone's cutting frame. They stopped in the main lobby nearby the Legionnaire's checkpoint station.

Citizens exchanged smiles and nods with the uniformed officials as they bustled about their daily business, wholly unaware of the evil plot being executed in their midst. Greetings bounced off the smart tile floors and marble covered walls, ricocheting into the corridors of the Harmony Building.

"Where is Captain Matthias?" Persephone asked the Legionnaire heading up the checkpoint.

"She is on negative-seventeen ma'am." The Legionnaire answered, too startled to be formal. "Something about a false shipping manifest."

Persephone pressed her lips into a thin smile. "Excellent."

She spun on her heel and was off again before Ben could catch his breath.

They waited at the elevator bank with a small crowd of individuals, all of whom had stopped the chattering to stare at Persephone. When it came to their turn, they packed into a limited cube of space fitting their bodies around the Legionnaires, Tinkers, and citizens who had business here.

By negative-six, they were alone again. "What did you mean by women?" Ben asked, finally able to speak.

Persephone motioned with her hand for him to remain silent. Ben retreated into his mind to mull over what had just happened. 

How could doctor Watson help if Holmes was keeping all the information of this mystery to herself? And more importantly, how did any of this factor into getting Meg home safely?

The elevators whistled open on negative-seventeen and there waiting, was the very individual Persephone wanted to find. 

Stacey Matthias came from a long-respected military family. Her father had served in the original Legionnaire's core when Arc City One was first operational. As a high-ranking Seafarer officer, Matthias was already carving out her own legacy of excellence, and Persephone respected that. 

"Persephone?" Matthias greeted in confusion.

"Matthias," Persephone said with a bob of her head. "I'd like your council."

While Matthias rarely said a word, her actions and demeanor spoke volumes.

"Of course," Matthias answered, her eyes flickering to Ben. "Here?"