CHAPTER 28

Songs of the chapter:

- Magic by Coldplay

- On a Night Like This cover by Irena Lysiuk (sorry I could only put one Youtube video. Wish there was a completely acoustic version. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_92R6ImGxc)

**************************

For as long as I could remember, I was never overly enthusiastic about New Years Eve. Whilst others would anticipate that specific night, making plans to celebrate it from a spot with a worthy view or with their closest companions, I chose to ignore it.

If one was to invite me along to their New Years Eve plans I would probably consider their offer, but I was never going to go out of my way to commemorate the event. I couldn't say why. There was no horrid memory traumatising me or preventing me from enjoying the event; I simply can't find the interest within myself.

Maybe it was because it always seemed to be a let down. You watch all the films and you see the way it is portrayed as some sort of magical evening, a night like no other. You see the way that the people supposedly celebrate with one another, the way seconds are counted down before midnight kisses are exchanged.

Well I've never had anything that lived up to all those expectations. It had always proven to be a disappointment.

Perhaps it was also the way that I couldn't find it in myself to commemorate yet another year passing so fleetingly like others could. Others would celebrate the fact that they had made it through another year. I would dread the fact that another year had come and gone before we all knew it.

Yet, despite my lack of interest in the celebrations, I found myself agreeing to Damon's offer to spend the night together. I apparently had this irritating inability to say no to people, especially when it came to Damon. I wasn't sure why I couldn't utter that one simple word to him each time he had asked me out despite being busy or tired.

I might not look forward to it all but I didn't want to ruin his personal anticipation in any way. It was not like I had any other plans either way.

When he had called me on Boxing Day to invite me to his friend's New Years Eve party I did warn him about the fact that I was not going to be the most thrilling company. He didn't seem to care much, so that was how I ended up roped into yet another attempt of trying to make this particular night successful for myself.

"Are you heading off?" Jess asks me, peeking her head out of the kitchen. She was currently organising things for the quaint barbecue she had going on with a few of her friends. The plans were only made after I had already agreed to my plans with Damon so I have to cut my presence here short.

"Yeah," I answer, grabbing my things to put into my clutch, "Sorry I'm ditching you."

She swats her hand at me with disagreement.

"Please, you've earned a night out on the town. It's time for me to set you free from the nest. Go and have an amazing night. Be free little birdie," she tells me.

"You sure?" I check.

"Certain."

"Do I look okay?" I ask her, spinning around in a circle for her to check over my appearance. I had resorted to one of my favourite wrap dresses, as I do so regularly. This particular wrap dress seemed to finely tread the line of casual and formal, with its navy colour and thick fabric, ideal for a party I had not the slightest clue about.

I had dressed the outfit up with a pair of black stockings, strappy heels, curled hair, silver studs, stockings, a coat, and my trusty black clutch that was definitely beginning to get a little worse for wear but I couldn't bear to part with.