CHAPTER 20

There are moments in life when time has been soaring by you and a metaphorical foot has well and truly been on the accelerator for quite some time

There are moments in life when time has been soaring by you and a metaphorical foot has well and truly been on the accelerator for quite some time. That is until something comes along which has that foot instantly slamming down on the brake, the inertia rattling you to your core before you crash into the chilling depths of an imaginative pool of water. You're drowning now, trapped under a heavy burden and clouded by the body of water which has engulfed you. You're fighting to escape it all but you're driven to be erratic, struggling to function properly and gain some air as you keep getting pulled down.

I had well and truly had my foot on the accelerator as I went through life recklessly, asking for something new or different to come around to change things up. Now I had come to an abrupt stop thanks to my sister's latest announcement and was well and truly drowning in my own thoughts as I attempted to understand what was going on. Each time I think I can pull myself out of my sea of thoughts I was being pulled back down by yet another wave. I could only imagine how Lexi had felt or still was feeling.

My mind can't seem to comprehend that my nineteen year old little sister, the one who followed me around like a shadow when she started school and who used to come to my bed at night crying when she missed our mum, is sitting in front of me and telling me that she might be pregnant.

"You what?" I manage to say, "What... how... when?" I mumble, the words uncontrollably spilling out of my mouth.
There I was, naive me, only a minute ago thinking that she was probably just having a quarter life crisis; she was probably feeling lost about something or maybe she was just having guy trouble again. I saw that she was clearly distressed but Lexi tended to freak out about a fair few things when it actually came around to being an adult.

"I've only really thought so for a couple of days. Maybe two weeks ago I realised that my period was late but I had some assessments coming up so I assumed it was just late from the stress. It wasn't the first time that had happened. But then those assessments had well and truly passed and my period still hadn't come. I knew something was wrong then. So I went to the pharmacy and bought some pregnancy tests." she explains to me, the tears slowly beginning to well in the corners of her eyes.

"Elle, I took eight pregnancy tests. They all came back positive," she reveals, cementing the reality of the situation in my mind, "What am I gonna do, Elle?" she practically cries.

I try to replace my current state of mind, which was in utter disarray with my responsible and logical older sister state of mind, and somehow just manage to do so, pulling myself together for a few short moments for the sake of my sister.

"Lexi, it'll all be okay," I reassure her, taking her into my arms to envelope her in a hug I felt that she had well and truly earned, even if she was technically partially responsible for the situation she had landed herself in, "First, we'll go the doctor and confirm the situation. If you really are pregnant then you still have plenty of options. But we'll talk about that more only if we need to."