CHAPTER 13

After my satisfying escape into emptiness and serenity, I am left craving for more of this time- for this to be my life rather than the utter confusion and instability which had infested it as of late

After my satisfying escape into emptiness and serenity, I am left craving for more of this time- for this to be my life rather than the utter confusion and instability which had infested it as of late. However, my complete silence and peace is interrupted one last time as the murmurs of voices around me stir me from my deep slumber.

Giving in to the demands of the world for me to return, I turn over on to my back on whatever surface I lay on now and move to wipe my eyes so as to ease my sight back into the light one last time. Removing my hands from my eyes gradually as I open my eyes, I successfully prevent the light from completely overwhelming me once again and am able to return to the world of consciousness relatively well enough.

With my eyes still squinted, I attempt to get a look around at my surroundings and am only met with complete unfamiliarity. However, as I try to remind myself of where I am,  I'm met with the flashing back of my most recent memories.

After quite a strenuous trip to wherever Theodore was guiding me and me having to endure the utter exhaustion which was overwhelming me, I found myself being led into a building he seemed familiar with and in yet another elevator with Theodore Harrington today but this time I couldn't care less about any close proximity or tension. This time I shamelessly lean into him as he holds me up and lets me rest on his shoulder to save my energy for the rest of our journey.

When the elevator doors open, he continues to make his way away through the abandoned office, flicking on lights wherever it was required as he guided me along. It was clear that this was a space he was welcome to, him having instinctively led us here and knowing his way around. Honestly, he could've taken me anywhere at that moment and I couldn't have cared less as long as it wasn't the hospital.

When we finally reached his desired destination it was obvious from the moment we stopped, Theodore opening the glass, wooden trimmed doors to the flawless office I found myself in at this moment. I had stared at the dazzling view of the nightlife from this office, which I assumed was his. It almost rivalled the view from his balcony if it was only a more open perspective rather than shrouded by the view of other buildings.

His office could be described as a combination of modern and rustic, the modern glass of his timber legged desk contrasting wonderfully with the raw texture of the floor to ceiling bookshelves which embellished a whole wall and were filled to the brim with book after book. However, the most intriguing feature of all had to be the photo frames which also rested on these shelves, me being so easily endeared by a glimpse at the Theodore who was just like any other average person with images of family and captured memories surrounding him. With an extremely limited attention span at that moment from my severe fatigue and apparent dehydration as well, I barely got a chance to examine these photos; only just noticing one which seemed to be of a small child and a woman.

After my entrance into the office I faintly recall how Theodore how promptly checked on me and provided me with both some water and a snack he had found in his desk drawers, before finally allowing me to sleep after a substantial amount of pleas. This was how, I now remember,  I ended up on this smooth leather of the lounge in his office, covered with a blanket and necessities waiting for me on an ottoman nearby.