Prologue

The birds were chirping loudly, the sun was high and the air was fresh and clean. Haylee took a big breath in, a smile spreading on her face as she smelt the clean air, there was a soft breeze in the air. Excitement filled her as she neared her house. The farm was quiet and it added to her tranquil feeling. Her light brown hair was swept up by the breeze. She couldn’t wait to share the great news with her parents; she got the scholarship she applied to.

As she approached her house she noticed that the door was slightly open, this brought a frown to her face. The door was either closed or completely open, never just slightly opened. She climbed the white porch steps steadily while keeping her eyes on the slightly opened door. She approached the door slowly, for some odd reason she felt all her hairs on her body standing upright. Something wasn’t right.

As she opened the freshly painted blue door, she was met with the most horrifying sight. Her mother was on the ground with her father’s head in her lap. Her father’s body was still, to still. There was a pool of blood around them. Her mother looked up at her with terrified eyes, the eyes were the same green color as hers. She was covered in scratches and bruises. The whole scene made her stop in her tracks and brought fearful tears to her eyes. 

“Mom,” Haylee said, barely a whisper. She wondered if her mother even heard her.

“Run!” Her mother said, just as she heard footsteps down the hall. Adrenaline took over her body as she turned on her heals and ran out the door, her foot was caught in the doorframe and she tripped, but luckily the adrenaline was still pumping in her veins and she sprang back to her feet swiftly.

She ran faster than she ever did on the track team, she ran like there was no tomorrow. She heard screaming behind her followed by footsteps; this encouraged her to run faster. She ran to the forest at the back of the house as fast as she could, she could lose her pursuers inside, she thought.

Branches scratched her as she ran past, and she had to jump over the occasional rock or two. She didn’t know where she was going or who she was running from, but she knew she couldn’t stop. Not now. She heard voices behind her and threw a quick glance over her shoulder. As soon as she looked over her shoulder, she stepped into a trap.

A rope tightened around her ankle and before she knew it, she was hoisted up into the trees. An involuntary scream left her lips as she was pulled higher and higher. She heard a snap of a rope before she was thrashed against a thick branch. Her hip was slammed against the branch with so much force that it broke. She was overwhelmed with pain and another scream left her lips. Her scream quickly died when a sharp pain suddenly went through her neck.

Black dots started to cover her vision and the last thing she saw was a group of men running past her under the tree she was hoisted into.

A few seconds later she was submerged into darkness...

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Hey guys!

So I've decided to start posting my new book, please tell me what you think!

I hope you guys enjoy this story, I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I just want to thank LizardQueenDean for all her support and help while writing this story and of course her amazing cover.

Thank you for reading!

Amorie