Chapter 2

Jayk rubbed his temple in frustration as he listened to the group of men surrounding the table. They were screaming at each other and hardly gave one another a chance to finish their sentences. When he couldn’t take it any longer he stood up abruptly before he slammed his fists against the table. The sound echoed in the room and the room was immediately submerged into silence.

“That is enough! I don’t want to hear anymore of this! Every time we hold these meetings a fight is started. We are allies; we need to work together without killing each other, or biting each other’s heads off. Now can we resume this meeting like grown men of noble lineage? ” He said, his temper getting the best of him. He didn’t always like being the high king of The Hidden Realm, but times like these he was grateful he was, or else he would’ve burst an eardrum.

He heard a collective murmur of ‘beg your pardon, your highness’ and ‘you are right, your highness’. After that everyone that had risen because of the fighting sat back down again and the council meeting continued to go on in peace and quiet, with the occasional outburst of course. This was how the entire morning went by.

They were currently discussing the topic of tax increases and whether they should increase all of the kingdoms’ taxes. It was well in the afternoon when Jayk decided that the meeting was done for the day. 

“We will get back to this topic next week, for now the meeting is dismissed.” Jayk said as he stood up before he gathered all his papers.

The rest of the party left one by one until he was finally alone in the huge meeting hall. It was a stone building, and the inside was filled with tapestries that spoke of their history. He wanted to drag his hands through his hair, but the crown on his head prohibited him from doing it. This meeting took all his energy and he just wanted to return to his castle.

He made his way to the door and gave the meeting room one last glance before heading to his white stallion.
Outside most of the nobles were already a few feet away and when they saw him they shouted their goodbyes once more. This was one of the most tiring meetings he ever had to attend. Luckily he could go home. But he didn’t know how lucky he was to go home if he remembered the stack of papers he had to go through.

His white stallion was tied to a nearby post; the white beauty was grazing on the grass with not a care in the world.

“Ready to go home, boy?”  he asked his horse. The horse gave a neigh and he took that as a yes.

He quickly climbed on top of his horse, Filo, after untying him from the post. He couldn’t wait to put on a pair of jeans and T-shirt once he got home. He wanted to hit himself for suggesting wearing traditional clothes to the meetings all those years ago.

He urged his horse into a light trot, while he steered her in the right direction. He looked down at his watch and saw that it was already three in the afternoon. He knew they had to wear complete traditional clothing, but his watch was something he couldn’t go without.

The ride back home would take him at least half an hour, times like these he used to think about his life. The road was quiet except for the few merchants here and there. He would give them a nod as a sign of greeting before passing on. He knew that he could’ve brought his knights along with him, but he liked to travel on his own. It gave his mind sometime to calm down and to just breathe in some fresh air.

He always felt drained after meetings like today, the council was always squabbling about something, and he hated it. They were supposed to work together. They lived in the same realm after all.  

After fifteen minutes of riding the forest began to thin out and he could see the tips of the mountain range, the border of the kingdom of Ashrock was near. The tip of the tower could also be seen as he neared his kingdom. He felt excited to be returning home, two days was long enough absence for him.