SIX

this idiot just posted a Sihtric fic despite the fact i've got 6 exams in 2 weeks and two other fics to worry about lmao so ya go check it out enjoy x

so ya go check it out
enjoy x

word count; 2027

Rosamund

I was ushered into a side room with Beocca, Pyrlig, Alfred, Edward and Uhtred. I had to admit I was surprised to be brought into such a clandestine meeting. They had circled around a table as Edward led me in, moving to be by his Father's side as I entered the circle. There was such tension in the room I feared someone had died. My Father, perhaps. It was upon his death I would either remain in Wessex or sent back to Frankia, depending on my brother Reginald's decision. He was the eldest after all; the heir to inherit all my parents had build. Though, I was assured that he was not all too deserving of such an empire.

There was a period of silence as the frail Alfred began to speak. I had not noticed his sickness until now; the growing bags under his eyes or the paleness that appeared on his face. It was somewhat ironic.

"Princess Rosamund," He said, eyeing me. "It seems your betrothed is growing restless." His tone was as stern as it was disapproving.

"Restless, Lord?" I asked, squeaking the words out. I felt my confidence drained from me as the men of Wessex stared at me like I was a peace of meat. Even Edward had a hungry look in his eyes as I met them.

He nodded, "Yes, restless."

I could not quite understand the meaning of Alfred's words, in truth. Restlessness was not a reason to drag me from Finan's arms, at least not in my view. Nonetheless, I had to remind myself that the men who surrounded me, hopefully, knew nothing of my indiscretions and thus I could not fault them for their actions.

"He means that Owain is sending men to meet you, Lady." Uhtred told me, giving me a wide smile. I nodded slowly and tilted my head a little,

"Is this a custom of yours? I do not recall such a thing happening in Frankia." I admitted.

It was unusual for a King, of all men, to send his men to meet his betrothed. Either he was picky about his wife's looks or the 'whore' rumours had reached Gwynedd. It was likely the latter, in truth. No man wanted a tainted wife and the rumours that swirled in Aquitaine were not endearing. I had done no wrong, I remained as holy as the Virgin Mary, but my actions had been taken out of proportion. It was then I realised precisely why they were coming; to see my worth.

"It is not." Pyrlig admitted uneasily. "But King Owain is not a usual man."

Pyrlig's words sparked a sense of doubt in me. How was Owain not a usual man? Was he defected? Was he cruel? I knew the answer to neither question and feared the truth of it. My anxiety was ever growing in regards to my future husband, but I was surrounded by dissenters, those who - even if they meant well - did not wish for my marriage to go ahead.