FOUR

enjoy my sweet lieblings, thank u for 200 reads x

word count; 1855

Rosamund

"I will be back, Addela. Please, ask the other girls to attend to my correspondence. And, if you would not mind," I pulled her aside and whispered, "I ask that if a man should come looking for me you should say that I am otherwise occupied with correspondence matters."

"A man, lady?" Addela's face was filled with such terror I worried she would faint.

"Yes. Just do this for me, Addela." I pleaded with her as if she had a choice. She did not; she was my lady-in-waiting and my authority was all the more superior. But, as a woman, I would not force her to do something she felt wrong or that she did not wish to do. I would not treat her, nor the rest of my ladies, in such a horrific way. Addela nodded and smiled,

"Of course, Princess."

"Thank you." I smiled, truly grateful for Addela's help.

In truth, it was not that I feared for my life but I did not wish to return to my chambers to find either Edward nor Finan awaiting my return. I had little doubt that whoever I was to meet would be back news of some kind.

I had exited my chambers and intended to make my way to the arch in the courtyard when an unfamiliar voice spoke my name and thus stopped me in my tracks.

"Princess Rosamund?"

I took a breath before turning and giving a beaming smile to the namecaller. It was an unfamiliar man in a familiar uniform. He was of Mercia, that was clear. I did not need to speak as he began to do so without prompt or cue.

"I am Aldhelm, lady, commander of Lord Aethelred's household guard."

"Lord Aethelred?" I asked, prompting him to nod. "Aethelflaed's husband?"

"That is him, lady." Aldhelm nodded and confirmed. I pursed my lips and began to speak,

"I haven't yet had the pleasure," I admitted, knowing just what kind of man Aethelred was like. He was a coward and yet took pleasure in the cruelties he showed towards his wife. He wasn't a man I would like to meet, to say the least.

"The Lord Aethelred asks if he may escort you to the celebrations, Lady."

"Should he not be escorting his wife?" I retorted, narrowing my eyes suspiciously at the man. He chuckled awkwardly,

"Unfortunately the lady Aethelflaed will not be attending the celebrations."

"Shame. I would've liked to meet the famed Lady of Mercia. Even the Frankish have heard of her courage and bravery. She is someone I have grown to admire." I admitted, approaching Aldhelm. "Tell Aethelflaed's husband that I have to decline, Lord."

He frowned immediately. "Might I ask why, Lady?"

I nodded and chuckled lightly, "I already have an escort, Lord Aldhelm. Prince Edward has offered his hand and I gladly accepted. Who would refuse such a courageous man?"