you sucked in a breath at the gates, midoriya looking a bit nervous.

you spared a glance his way, "oh, i never asked. did you get into general studies or something?"

he scratched his cheek, "ac-actually, i got into the h-hero course."

"what?! b-but... this is gonna be great! we're classmates!" you grinned, "i can't believe you got into the hero course! what happened? were you a late bloomer?"

he laughed nervously, "something like that."

"cool! i can't wait to see it," you replied, walking down the halls. once again, your mind drifted. "hey, midoriya-san?"

he hummed, looking over at you. "yeah, (name)-san?"

"do... do you know if kacchan got in?" you asked, stopping in your tracks as you looked out the window.

"we'll find out sooner than later," was his reply before you both turned a corner and stood in front of the towering door of class 1-a. "well, let's see what–" he opened the door, immediately hearing the sound of an argument already.

you looked past midoriya's shoulder, looking into the room before you noticed two boys yelling at each other. one you had recognized from the written exam; tall, dark hair and dark eyes, a pair of glasses perched on his nose as he scolded the one in front of him. but when you noticed the blond, your eyes widened and your brain went fuzzy.

he looked almost exactly as he did when you had last seen him; hair unruly and jutting out in tufts of blond, crimson eyes narrowed and uncaring as he yelled back at his classmate. but as he was still the same, he was also different. this kacchan was taller than the one you knew, shoulders more broad, lips curled into a permanent scowl.

you snapped out of it, pushing past midoriya and sitting in the seat you were assigned to, near the back of the room in the corner. you almost wanted to say hello, but if midoriya couldn't recognize you, you doubted bakugou would.

however, you were surprised when you noticed his eyes on you as you sat down.

just before you could say anything to the blond, the teacher had arrived, and both your attentions were directed to the front of the room. guess you'd have to wait for lunch.

your body ached somewhat after aizawa's random and stressful quirk assessment test, your hands shaking with slight tremors from the earthquakes you'd sent throughout your body. you wanted to leave a good impression, and you certainly didn't want to be expelled on the first day.

you sighed, about to pass by a hallway when you blazer was grabbed and you were dragged and the corner, a gasp of surprise falling from your lips.

"oi, what's your–kacchan?"

the blond stood there with a scowl on his face, staring you down with narrowed eyes.

"kacchan?" you asked.

"who the fuck gave you the right to come back?" he growled, hostility lacing his tone.

your eyes widened, "wh-what?"

"you think you can come back here after fucking disappearing and shit?" he still hadn't let go of your arm, the grip tightening. "you left without a fucking word, and yet, now, here you are, shitty girl."

"i-i'm sorry," you mumbled, looking down at the ground. "i didn't mean to disappear–"

he scoffed, "but you did. you fucking left me in that class with fucking deku, of all people."

you hesitated, words catching in your throat. "i-i... i didn't know how to tell you. how to say goodbye. i'm sorry, kacchan. i'm–"

he surprised you then, grabbing your head with his free hand as he pulled it to his chest, your body following until you were pressed against him. he let go of your arm, wrapping it around your shoulders as he hugged you. "i was so fucking lost, shitty girl. i didn't know what the fuck happened, or where you were, or if you fucking died. you were just... gone."

"i'm sorry, kacchan," you wrapped your arms around his waist, burying yourself in his chest. "i just-i didn't want to have to say goodbye, and then time was up too fast, and i didn't know what to do, and my parents, we had to live with my grandmother, and i–"

"you're rambling, idiot," he mumbled. "and quit fucking apologizing."

you pulled away from the hug, wiping away the tears that had started to spill over (you couldn't even tell when you started crying). "sorry," you whispered hoarsely.

"oi, what did i just say?!"

"i don't know what else to say!"

he scoffed, "whatever."

you rolled your eyes, "so, are we gonna stay back here, or can we get some lunch? i'm starving."

"tch, let's go, shitty girl."

you grinned, "you know, you'd think that after a few years to think things over, you'd find a new nickname."

he glared at you, but he didn't reply. he was just glad to have you back.