II

M

"Come on Lolo!" I giggled.

I turned up the radio even louder, listening to the heavenly voice of the Italian singer. My hips swayed to the music as I held onto the long broom, pretending it was a microphone.

"Now cara mia, I can no longer move my hips like I used to." Loretta smiled sadly, making me pout.

"Oh yes you can Lolo, I've seen you in the kitchen cooking up a storm while busting some moves. Come on, have some fun with me?!" I pouted, giving her my best irresistible puppy dog eyes.

"Alright, alright!" she sighed, before standing from her seat.

I watched in amusement as she began to sway her hips as if she was back in her twenties. A large smile soon rising onto her face when she quickly recognised the next song. She belted the lyrics in her sweet singing voice, hitting the notes exactly.

I clapped my hands, keeping up with the upbeat rhythm of the music while Loretta continued to sing. I let out a laugh when she abruptly grabbed onto my hands, spinning us both into circles until we got too dizzy to continue.

Once the music sadly came to an end, Loretta collapsed back into her seat, letting out a happy sigh.

"You make me feel so youthful, Cara," she smiled.

"I try Lolo." I grinned.

The smile on her aging face soon fell after my response. It was like she remembered something disheartening.

"What's wrong Lolo?" I questioned.

"It's time-" she removed a paper from her apron pocket and slid the white letter across the table.

I hesitated before I reached out to pick it up. My eyes landing on the red bold printed words on the bottom, which read;

You have failed to pay your debt Mrs Carbone. As a result we must seize your restaurant and sell it to a buyer who is willing to pay.

"This—This can't be Lolo? I mean you've been in the business since you were small?! I don't understand?!" I murmured in disbelief.

"Yes, I have my dear, but it's not enough. Money speaks much louder these days," she sighed, rubbing at her temple. She quickly wiped away her own tears, giving me a sad smile.

"But I-" I was cut off by the sound of the door opening.

Craning my neck, I was met with the sight of Damien entering. He came in alone, but I spotted his men standing only a short distance away across the street.

My eyes trailed down his usual suited attire, before rising to meet his cold stare which softened once I made eye contact. I turned away.

"Loretta," he greeted curtly.

"Ah Damien, how can I help you this evening?" Loretta stood up to greet him. Once at a close range, she enveloped him in her arms, placing a kiss on his cheeks.

"I'm alright-" he said.

"Nonsense!" she scowled. "You look like you haven't eaten a good meal, come and sit." she ushered him into his seat.

"I'll be right back with a surprise. Mina keep this young man company, I won't be long!" her smile was back on her face, another song now pouring out from the radio.

I watched silently as she danced her way to the kitchen, leaving me in the main room alone with him. I stared down at my hands, nervously fiddling with the hem of my uniform dress. He stared, as usual, quietly taking in my appearance.

"Would you like anything to drink?" I asked, avoiding his strong gaze.

"No. Thank you," his voice was firm but as though he meant to soften it and it sent butterflies straight to my stomach.