Instead, I bit my tongue.

"He was too angry, I couldn't." I mumbled.

It was not until I was engulfed in a hug by my sister that I remembered a way to understand what was happening.

"Saira!" I exclaimed, a sudden relief coursing through my veins upon seeing her in flesh.

Talking to her over the phone was one thing but meeting up with her, it was completely different.

"Aapi, kesi ho ap? I missed you so much. I know we talk everyday but seeing you in flesh-"

She started to ramble out too, her own feelings the same as mine but there was no time for this conversation.

"Wait, what are you even doing here, I ca-" I shushed her.

"Can we like go upstairs? Ammi, I'll be back." I excused myself, running up the stairs with my sister.

My mother wanted to stop us, she was highly confused herself but I gave her no time.

"Okay, tell me. How's he treating you? What's been up?" She started to question me.

I appreciated and liked her concern but now was not the time for me to start rambling out my sob story.

"Not now Saira, you remember that staircase where we used to hide? Behind abbu's study? We have to go there."

I didn't have the guts to go all alone, at least she would be with me, if we ever got caught.

"Wait, why?"

I dragged her with me, not responding to her query.

"Just, come on."

As we reached the store, we walked into the smaller store room where a staircase led to the old storage upstairs.

Behind the stairs, was a wooden door. Even though it was always locked and we couldn't see anything from the glass in between, we could hear each and everything clearly.

As kids, both Saira and I would come and listen to abbu's conversations. We would later on mimic it out.

It was something we would do for fun, now, however it was for another reason.

"Sshh, don't say a word of this to anyone."

She nodded.

"And make sure nobody comes up, will you guard the door for me?"

I whispered to her as she gazed at me with confusion but nodded anyway. I put my ear near the door.

"I'm not lying, Zaydaan. My loyalties lie with you."

My father's panicked voice reached my ears and my heart thudded in my chest.

"Then why were you spotted with the Chaudhrys? Why were you having dinner with them?" I had never heard anyone talk to my father in this way.

In this rude and absolutely straightforward way. It was shocking.

"They invited me and I had to go."

"And you did not bother to tell us about it? Are you really gambling with us?" My husband's voice got higher with each sentence while my father's lowered.

"Zaydaan, listen to me."

"No! You listen to me, this matter is not political anymore, it's personal."

What matter? What was going on?

"Do you really not care about your daughter? Do you really think that your daughter will be given love and respect in that house if you fuck us up?!"