Protecting Him: Part 3

Start from the beginning

Carissa swallowed. This was not going as planned. "Yes, actually."

He laughed louder, gasping for air in between bouts of laughter. "You and him are going to kill all the Reapers—oh, what a tale!"

She narrowed her eyes. "If you would only release me, I'd gladly demonstrate my fighting prowess."

He wiped at his moist eyes as his laughter ebbed. "Regardless, everyone knows Reapers can't be killed."

"There are exceptions to that."

"You're referring to the King and Queen of Nysia?" His face suddenly sobered.

Now they were getting somewhere. Carissa nodded.

He smiled and shook his head, whipping his dark hair. "If you're the Queen of Nysia, I'm the king of the world."

And they were back to square one. Carissa laid her head back on her pillow. Perhaps it was time to try a different tactic. After a few minutes, Carissa shifted. Then she shifted again, as though uncomfortable.

The man glanced back at her. "What are you up to back there?"

Carissa ducked her head, her shoulders rising to her ears. "I have to relieve myself."

The man scowled. "Now?"

"Well, I could do so on your bed—"

"No." He launched from his chair. "Absolutely not." He rubbed at his forehead. "Well, I suppose I'll take you outside, then."

"I'm not going without clothes."

He shrugged. "Don't be so squeamish. I'm the only one here, and I certainly don't care."

Carissa settled back against the bed. "I'm not moving from this bed without clothes."

He huffed. "Then you'll just have to relieve yourself where you are."

"I will."

He clenched his jaw. "Fine. Fine. I'll let you get clothes on, then."

"I'm not going to get you dressed with you staring at me. You'll have to give me some privacy."

His eyes narrowed, his brown irises coiling tightly around his pupils. "I don't think so. You might think yourself clever, but I refuse to give you the opportunity to escape."

"Pervert."

"Reaper-kisser."

She sighed. "What if you tie my ankle to the bed? If the knot is tight enough, I won't be going anywhere."

He tilted his head for a moment before nodding. "I suppose that would work."

"And you won't look?"

He clenched his jaw. "Possibly."

"I need you to promise you won't, or I won't get up from this bed."

"Fine. Fine. You have my word. Now will you go into the forest to relieve yourself?"

She nodded and shifted her leg, so her foot was exposed.

The man tied her ankle so tightly it pinched her skin and fastened it to the bedpost with some slack in between. Then he stepped back and turned his back to her. "You have two minutes."

Carissa slid from the bed and scrambled for her undergarments. "But that's hardly enough time!"

"Your time starts now."

Carissa yanked her undergarments on, then the emerald dress. Without a chemise, the air brushed against her bare legs, making her feel exposed. She hadn't brought a chemise with her, since she hadn't anticipated wearing any dresses.

For a final touch, she slid the knife from beneath Elon's clothes and slipped it down her neckline. Once they were in the forest, she'd put it to good use—first to free herself, then against her captor.

"Time's up." He turned around, his gaze scaling her dress. "That's rather nice clothing for a servant. You must be rather valuable to the Reapers."

Carissa resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Of course she was; she was the queen, after all. But there was little point in reiterating that.

He approached her and turned her by the shoulders before binding her hands behind her back.

Alarm rippled through her. "Wait, how am I supposed to relieve myself with my hands behind my back?"

"When we go into the forest, I'll unbind you so you can relieve yourself, but first I need to search you." He tugged the rope on her wrists tight. His calloused hands curled around her ankles, and she startled.

"S–Search me?"

"For weapons." His hands wandered higher, and her legs trembled so badly that her knees nearly knocked against each other.

"Pervert," she muttered. He didn't respond. It was only a matter of time before he finished searching her legs and continued his search up higher, then he'd find the dagger.

Which meant she had to act. Now.

Carissa kicked behind her, felt her foot hit his chin. He grunted and fell back with a thud. She glanced behind her. He'd fallen to the floor, his eyes flickering behind his eyelids.

If he was merely dazed, she'd have to act quickly before he came to. She couldn't use her dagger to free herself, since her hands were bound behind her back. Her gaze landed on the arrow implanted into the wall. Hopefully that would do.

She darted towards it, turned her back to the wall, and began to work the arrowhead free of the wood. Just as she yanked it out, the man blinked, his eyes fastening on the ceiling.

Carissa pricked herself a few times before she pointed the arrow correctly, using it to fray her bindings.

The man blinked a few more times and sat up, his head swaying slightly. His gaze landed on her, his eyes narrowing. "I think keeping you as my prisoner is more effort than it's worth." He snatched his bow and quiver of arrows, slung across the back of his chair.

Just as he drew back the first arrow, the ropes binding her wrists snapped, falling to the floor. She withdrew her dagger from her neckline.

The man's arm tensed. "Drop your weapons and surrender."

Carissa twirled the dagger before holding it at the ready in front of her. "Funny. I was about to tell you the same thing."

***

Author's Note: No sneak peek today, as usual, but I'll try to get one up Friday!