[6]

Laila's POV

"The cards are what?" My jaw could practically touch the floor.

Once we reached our house, we settled down onto the floor so Maryam can fill me in.

"Yes! I told you I couldn't tell you while you drove." Maryam sighs.

"So, wait, could you explain that to me again?" I say because I couldn't believe my ears. I start by pointing at the black American Express card.

"Okay, so," Maryam prepares herself. "American Express Centurion is an invitation-only. You can't just get it randomly, you have to be invited because you're extremely rich. Key-word: extremely. It's also made out of titanium, has no spending limits and you have a personal concierge 24 freaking 7!"

I gulp and nod. I point to the next card: Dubai First Royale MasterCard.

"This one is best not touched." Maryam says and I quickly pull my finger away from it. "It has an actual gold border around the card, and has a literal 0.235-carat diamond embedded on it. it's only offered to royalty and the ultra-wealthy."

That tiny card is worth more than I can earn in 90 years. I can feel extremely nervous even being to close proximity to such a card. But curiosity gets the best of me so I point at the last one that looks fancy, a J.P. Morgan Chase Palladium card.

"Made of metal, palladium and 24K gold, this card is also issued by invitation-only. I think you need to be worth more than $30 million to be even considered to receive an invite for the card." Maryam says.

"You're right. I can't feel my hands anymore from holding the wallet. I don't think I'm even breathing right now." I quickly put the wallet back on the table. "Credit cards made of gold and diamonds? No spending limit? Personal concierge? This is too insane to be true."

"This is just another way of showing off wealth, my sweet, innocent friend." Maryam groans. It's obvious she feels slightly jealous of the mere contents of the wallet.

"I'm going to have to return this ASAP. This is going to be my first errand tomorrow morning." I say.

"You should. The longer it's anywhere near me, the more tempted I am to take the whole $800 that Mr. Romano won't be needing." She slides up his driver's license card to look at the photo and her eyes widen at its sight. "Goodness gracious, how does he look so good in this ID? Mash'Allah (Allah has willed), he is blessed with natural good looks. My license photo looks like a literal mugshot."

"I know, right?" I agree.

I can see Maryam's eyes lingering on the wallet for a little too long so I quickly snatch it from her before she gets anymore ideas. I place the wallet safely in my purse and close its zipper.

"Honestly, if I stared at that wallet for a few seconds longer, I would've taken the money." Maryam jokes, however, I'm not sure if she's actually joking.

"You've gotten greedy, Dr. Maryam Ali." I smirk.

"What can I say? Student loans are like Shaytaan (Satan), pressuring me to do something desperately to get rid of it, whether the method is moral or unethical." Maryam shrugs her shoulders.

"I guess I can't disagree with that." I laugh.

• • •

I woke up super early today to get a head start on things I have to do today. There are a few things I have to complete today: return the wallet, pick up some grocery items, pay a few of my bills, and check online to see if there's any news about my Master's thesis.