11. Breadstix Pt. 1

"This is a bad, bad idea" 

"What are you talking about? This plan's pure genius" Santana refuted as she tugged at Dave's apron. 

"Hey, stop it" He swatted her away. 

If Dave wondered why he was in the kitchen at Breadstix about to make a fool of himself, he'd blame Santana and his supposed-to-be-best friend who had no problem chuckling his brains out at his friend's current apparel. 

"Guh, why do I have to do this again?" Dave asked for the fourth time that evening. 

Santana sighed and went over the plan with him once more. "Kurt told you his net date with Blaine was here, right?" Dave nodded. "So you're going to be their waiter. You see, Kurt can stomach Blaine's terrible personality because he's only rude to him. However, if he sees him being rude to someone else for a change..." Santana drawled out for emphasis, gesturing towards him, "then Kurt's good-nature will kick in and he'll stand up for you." 

"How'd you even get me this job so quick?" Dave asked curiously. 

"Sam did a private dance to the manager," Santana said offhandedly. "Sammy, go check if Loverboy and Bowties are here yet?" 

"What's the 'magic word' I need to scream," Sam said. 

Santana scowled at the football player. Santana was half his size, but she still kind of sent a chill running down his back. "Alright, Alright" He put his hands up in defeat. 

"That's what I thought" 

When Sam came back, he announced to them that. " May I say that 'The gays are in a building'." 

Santana grinned. "Alright. Now Dave, remember, provoke him!" She reminded him as she shoved him out of the kitchen door into the restaurant full of people. 

Dave convinced that he would have unintentionally done so even if it was not all part of the plan. He took a deep breath and began the walk to the couple's table. Even as he approached them, his heart sank. 

He wanted more than anything to be the person on the other side of that table from Kurt, starting into those radiant eyes, listening to his brilliant wit, saying just about anything just to hear his amazing laugh. 

"Welcome to Breadstix. My name is David and I'll be your server tonight." Dave said cheekily though they obviously knew exactly who he was. 

"Dave!!" Kurt exclaimed sounding pleasantly surprised.  

"Can you tell me what the hell are you doing here!!" Blaine sound with disgust. 

"I..uh..I work here now. It's my first night... what's the problem with that?" Dave responded

"Oh, that's great! And I guess you're our waiter. What are the chances?!" Kurt said with a wide smile on his face. 

"Yeah, what are the chances?" Blaine said without a trace of the excitement Kurt had when he saw him. 

Dave wasn't sure if he was supposed to respond to that and if he was, what that response should even be. 

"Well, congratulations on the new job" Kurt offered to break the tension. 

"Thanks, I really..." Dave started before Blaine interrupted him. 

"Well if you two done chatting. I'd like to order. I'll save the salmon" 

"Alright, got it," Dave said as he wrote the order down on the notepad. 

"Not so fast, chubby" Blaine stopped him from moving onto Kurt. "I want  extra cilantro, pepper on the side, don't you dare put any garlic on it, not too heavy on the lemon either, and if I find even one piece of fish bone in my dish..." He said in disgust. 

Though he said this all in one breath, he still somehow managed to become even louder and more threatening sounding with each syllable. 

"Got it. No bones." Dave interrupted so as to not let the other boy get any more worked up than he already was. 

Someone's a little high maintenance 

He wrote it all down and then turn to Kurt. "Right, well what are you having tonight?" 

"I'll have the grilled chicken salad" 

"Alright, one grilled chicken salad for the man sporting the new shirt and zebra brooch," Dave said with a smile as he wrote down the much shorter order. 

"You noticed?" Kurt said sounding even more surprised by this than he had been by Dave's presence at the restaurant. 

"Yeah, of course," Dave spent quite a bit of time looking at Kurt and that shirt and the brooch were definitely new. It hugged him in all the right places and matched his eyes perfectly. "You look great by the way. It really brings out the flecks of grey in your eyes which it's great because you have really nice eyes." Kurt smiled at the compliment, and Dave's breath hitched. 

Kurt always had a magnetic smile, but this one had something new, let's say a certain fondness in it. Kurt stared into Dave's own eyes, and he had no choice but to stare back. 

"Yeah, I noticed your shirt too baby" Blaine cut in, effectively ruining the moment. 

"Oh, did you now?" Kurt questioned with a raise of his eyebrow.

"Yeah, totally. I was just so in love with your new haircut to say anything about the shirt." 

"I didn't get a new haircut, Blaine" Kurt deadpanned. 

"It must just be styled differently than" 

"No, I've actually worn it this way for some quite a time." 

"Well something's different about your hair" 

"Riiight" Kurt said sardonically. 

"Don't you have some serving to do or something?" Blaine snapped at Dave, suddenly tired of the attention he had attracted to himself. 

"Alright, I'll be right back then," Dave said, addressing Kurt. 

"Hurry back," Kurt said with a meek smile and a wave. 

"Yeah, I hate my food cold" Blaine mentioned as he bit into a breadstick. 

Dave went back to the kitchen to retrieve their food. After he handed Sam the order, Dave turned to Santana for help. "You know he's not cracking up! Sure, he's gotten a little snarky, but not full out mean" he said hastily, sounding quite panicked. 

"Amp it up then! Rile him up!" She told him. 

"How the hell do I do that?" 

"Figure it out" She yelled as she pushed him back out the door with the food in the tray, the food she had instructed Sam exactly how to prepared. 

Dave arrived at the table and set their food down in front of them. 

Blaine automatically dug in, barely acknowledging Dave. 

"Mmmmm" Kurt hummed in anticipation. "Thank you, Dave. This looks delicious."

"You're more than welcome" 

"What the hell is this" Blaine asked nastily, punctuating each syllable with a pause. 

"Uh... Salmon" Dave answered through it sounded a lot like a question. 

Only when he notice the full fish skeleton that was hanging out o the young singer's mouth. Why did Dave get the feeling that this was Santana's doing?