Chapter 8

General POV

Like Neal said, he would be home later that night. Kate would show up and then Neal would press for the whole story. That was his plan.

Once he knew exactually what happened, he would talk with Peter and El.

Kate's story made sense if you look at it though a telescope. It seems so far fetched that it can't be true but there she was, alive, and with a child.

Peter sent everyone home to get a good nights sleep. This case wouldn't go unsolved for much longer. Peter wouldn't let this go on for much longer. Dominic scaring everyone, mostly his wife, was where he drew the thick line.

Neal opened the door to June's mansion and walked inside. He saw Kate with June. They seemed to be talking in the kitchen while Kate swayed with the child on her shoulder. The kid looked sick the first time Neal saw him but now he just looked even worse.

"So, Kate. How is the little one now? He isn't crying anymore."

Kate moved so she could see the child. "He seems like he's sleeping. He still pale but that will go away soon." Kate used one hand to support the child and the other to run her fingers though the dark hair.

June saw Neal standing in the shadows of the room and smiled at him. "Neal. Nice to see you so early." Neal smiled and walked to her. He kissed her cheek and looked to Kate.

In this light, he could properly see her. She looked the exact same, except she looked older than 22. She still had the same color eyes and spark in them when Neal's eyes met hers. The child was almost bigger than her body and he was slowly slipping off her tiny shoulders.

Neal held out his hands, almost on instinct, and motioned for Kate to pass the child. Kate was hesitant but reluctantly passed the sleeping child. Neal tucked the child's head into his neck and slowly patted his back.

"I'll bring you up some food. It seems like you have many things to talk about." June walked away to do whatever she wanted and Neal and Kate just stood there. They stood there staring at each other.

"I... Follow me upstairs. I can lay him down and we can talk."

Kate nodded and followed Neal up the stairs of the massive house. Neal opened his door and pushed it open. He allowed Kate to enter and then himself. He shut the door and walked to the middle of the room. Neal offered her a tiny smile before he walked over to his bed.

Neal slowly laid the child on his bed and pulled the covers over this small frame. Christopher pulled the blankets tighter and rolled away from Neal.

Neal watched the child get comfortable before he walked back to Kate. She was still standing awkwardly in the same spot she was before.

"Do you want something to drink?" Kate nodded and said, "water,  please."

Neal got her and himself a glass and handed it to her. He saw the way she watched him and Neal knew she felt bad. The look in her eyes showed more than she was letting on.

Neal pulled her into his arms, just like old times. Kate still held the glass of water in her left hand but still hugged Neal just as much. She really needed it. Without wanting to, Kate pulled away. Neal lifted his hand and wiped away the tears that Kate, unknowingly, shed.

Neal grabbed her free hand and led her to the table. He pulled out her a seat and helped her into it. He did the same with himself, right in front of her.

"Are you okay?" Neal always was one of those that would get shot and ask if the other person was okay. Kate smiled at a memory that phrase brought back.

"Yeah. I'm good now that I'm here."