chapter 1

her name was clementine. aw, such a long name. so i call her clem. haha, she's been my best friend for years now, i guess. i can't remember when we met, but i remember how.

she was sitting alone at a coffee shop. she was stunning. so i walked over and tried talking to her. she's a smart girl, and she saw right through me.

"hello there, i see your-"

"save it. you probably think i'm pretty, right? well, i don't go for jerks like you."

"um actually i was going to say, i see your shoe is untied."

"o-oh. oh my god i'm really sorry, i didn't mean to-"

"its okay. i will accept your apology if you let me sit here and drink my coffee with you."

she blushed and motioned toward the seat in front of her.

"so, whats your name?"

"calum. calum hood. and you?"

"clementine rogers. again, really sorry."

"your name is quite long."

"yeah it is. imagine how tough it was for me in 1st grade writing my name on my name tag haha."

"haha, your funny."

"i get that alot."

"i bet you do. so, what do you do for a living?"

"oh me? i'm only 15, i don't have a job yet haha. and you?"

"i'm only 16, but i seem to get around. i'm in a band. we haven't really, gone off yet."

"oh yeah? what's the name of your band?"

"5 seconds of summer. we're only doing youtube videos right now, but, we're gonna go far one day. you'll see."

"of course. who's in your band?"

"my best mate michael clifford, he's the guitarist, my other best mates, luke hemmings and ashton irwin. luke is kind of like the lead singer and he plays guitar. ashton drums and sings too, we all sing actually. i play the bass. and sing."

"well then, how nice."

"yeah. what about you? any goals in life yet to be achieved?"

"i wanna be a writer."

"cool."

"yeah, um, listen. i'm not looking for a boyfriend or someone to date."

"oh."

"yeah, but i am looking for a friend."

"i can do that. for now."

"great haha."

the conversation kept going and going until it was dark. that's when me and clem really hit it off. we've been bestfriends ever since.

its been about 3-4 years now, and we're closer than ever. i was right, our band did hit it off. we have an album out now, and we're touring so much. clem has been on a couple tours with me. the most recent tour, she didn't come because she was graduating high school. i quit high school and yeah, i missed her graduation. damn. in 1 week, i'll be starting a 6 month break, then back to touring.

i'm surprising her next week. she's met all the boys from the band and well, her and luke hit it off. except me, being her bestfriend, didn't allow it. she obeyed my command, yet all the boys constantly flirt with her.

i've always been under her spell. yet, i can never tell her unless i want to ruin our friendship.

she's dating multiple guys while touring, but i've put the guys in the band off limits. she's my bestfriend so of course she's going to obey. as i was saying, she dates multiple guys, but there's always a heartbreak after another.

every time i see her crying because of a guy, or when she calls me while i'm on tour because of a guy, i always wanna tell her the same thing: i'm in love with you.

but then, she'd freak out and never talk to me again. being in love with your bestfriend is more complicated than you think. seriously. but i've gotten used to it. i've gotten to the point of whenever i hear another guy's name come out of her mouth, i block it out and replace my name. so i pretend to be happy, but i'm actually happy because i hear my name. every. time.

seeing your bestfriend heartbroken makes you sad. it really does. but, it's different for me. it kind of makes me happy. for me. because that means she's available. but it also makes me wanna kill that guy for making her cry. not kidding.

but yeah, being in love with your bestfriend is hard. its seriously killing me of the fact that i will possibly never be able to kiss her, or cuddle with her. yeah. it sucks.