Chapter Three

Neither of us said a word the ride back. I would look over at Jace and see him deep in thought. He was obviously telling the others what happened. I was completely shell shocked. I felt numb to the world and it was kind of nice not to feel anything. I knew I should feel really guilty about the boys death but the serum kept me from that emotion. The New Order wanted us to enjoy the killing, to run around like we were in a video game and get rid of all the bad guys. The catch was, they weren't the bad guys, we were.

The next day when we were being given coordinates to a rebel group, I made the mistake of speaking up.

"Will there be children?" I ask numbly.

The official turns his dark helmeted head to me, "There could be." He says dully.

"We had to assassinate an innocent child yesterday."

He cocks his helmeted head slightly, "So?"

"He was a child. Children shouldn't be murdered in cold blood."

"Are you getting soft Ms. Berlin?" His cold voice asks.

"Maybe." I hiss.

"Well..." The official sounds amused, "We were expecting this."

"Expecting what?" I growl angrily.

Do they really not value life at all?

"Gentlemen, you go on without your friend here." He says reaching forward and grabbing my arm.

"Let me go or I'll but a bullet through your brain." I say flatly.

"I don't think so."

Then he suddenly brings out a taser and for some reason, I feel like he's smiling beneath that mask.

***

Every muscle in my body aches. What happened? I sit in a cold, hard chair with restraints tying my feet and arms down. I can't seem to open my eyes, I can only sit and listen to the sound of a person's garbled voice in the background. The voice says a string of words repeatedly but I can't not understand them. It's almost as if my mind is refusing to come into focus. I feel a prick in my neck and I can feel something surging into my blood. This is disgusting. A cold swirl comes higher and higher until I can feel it behind my eyes, affecting my brain. The fogginess lifts a little and I hear a man's rough voice say one word before I black out,

"Restart."

***

I wake up and roll over tiredly. I hate getting up early. The boys will be here to get me soon though so I better change. I yawn and stretch out my sleepy limbs. Then swing my legs over the edge of my bed. I grab my room remote and activate my bathroom. A white sink pops out of the wall and I rinse off my face and brush my teeth. Then I hit the wardrobe button and search through the large closet for suitable tracking gear. I guess I can use my sword today so I'd better chose a matching outfit. I grab a pair of thick black tights and pull on my leather dress thingy... Not sure what to really call it. It had an armored bodice, hang down like a dress but it is slit up the center so I can move well. Then It has a weapon belt, tall lace up boots, and forearm and shoulder protection bands. It's all black except the bodice underneath the lacing that's red to match the hilt of my sword. I go over to my bed and open up the top drawer of my bed stand. Inside is a little black box which I open to retrieve my armored mask.

I then pull my hood over and march out of the room out to the landing platform. The guys are already there loading up our weapons and devices. They look over at me oddly and I shrug. What's their problem? I run up the ramp into the belly of the shuttle and find a spot on the bench where I can sharpen my blade. The guys come aboard and give me funny looks again. Before I can say anything, our boss, the rat looking man, that still hasn't told us his name, comes aboard too.