Three

Sliding the brim of her ball cap down, Halen peered inside the bank window

Sliding the brim of her ball cap down, Halen peered inside the bank window. With a bruised jaw combined with a rash of nicks and scrapes, she looked more like a fugitive than a customer. She needed to find Sarah Winters and fast before she drew attention. Inhaling a deep breath, she summoned the courage and entered the bank.

Fluorescent lights buzzed above; a baby screamed in a stroller; a man broke out in a fit of sneezing, making her jump. Her stomach knotted, and she glanced toward the exit.

Stay strong, her mom's whispered voice urged.

She tucked her hands into her down parka, turning the key in her pocket, rolling it between her fingers as she fell in line behind an elderly lady. The woman's patchouli-scented scarf stirred memories of Jae's home where Halen had purged Asair. She had wanted nothing more than to be free of him. Now, if she found him, she would never let him go.

"Miss, I can help you here." A young man with hair the color of autumn leaves waved her forward. As she approached the counter, she turned when the security camera panned her way. She adjusted her collar, pulling it up high. The Tari used satellite imagery to track the fires; facial recognition wasn't out of their grasp. Even with the aqueducts destroyed, Halen figured they had more than one base. She feared they had eyes on her now. With sweaty palms, she straightened the plaque with the name Peter engraved across the front.

"How may I help you today?" His face beamed with a broad customer service smile. He wore a button down, oxford shirt with the sleeves rolled at the hem, and a neat bowtie affixed at his neck, which matched his green rimmed glasses. As pleasant as he seemed, this wasn't who she needed.

She glanced at the woman beside him, searching for Sarah Winters's name, but her plaque read Alicia. Either Sarah wasn't working today, or she held another position. Pulling the key out of her pocket, she set it on the counter and formed a protective cage over the top with her fingers. "I was hoping to speak with Sarah Winters?"

Peter's face flushed bright red. His gaze fell to the three dots on her hand; her birthmark was now a dull silver beneath the artificial lighting.

"Is she here?" Halen clasped the key.

"How do you know Sarah?" His gaze remained fixed on her hand. At the mention of her name, Alicia peered over.

Halen's sparks flickered. Scooping the key, she slipped her hands back in her pockets. This was a bad idea. She should have just called.

A muscular man stuffed in a suit two sizes too small stepped behind Peter. "Is there a problem?"

Peter let out a soft whimper as he wiped away a tear.

What had she said? Halen turned to leave when Alicia answered him, "She's here to see Sarah." Halen shot the snitch a pointed stare.

The man placed his hand on Peter's shoulder, excusing him. "I'll handle this. Miss, do you mind joining me at my desk?"