Chapter five

The outside world felt exactly the same as the city of Arden. I don't know what I was expecting? The air to feel different? The only difference was the sheer adrenaline that ran through my veins. I felt like running and yelling as we walked quietly through the trees. I began to see the outline of the city and my eyes caught the bright glimmer of lights.

"Oh my god, it's so pretty." I mumbled as we finally reached the edge of the forest and the entire town spread out before us. I saw the entry sign for the city of Littlewood. But beyond that was what made me stop in my tracks and just stare. That moment felt utterly surreal. I could feel the crisp night air in my lungs as clouds of my breath waved through the air. The town was filled with Christmas decorations, there were lights strung up everywhere, on the edge of buildings and wrapped around lampposts. In the center of the city there was a large tree, wrapped in more lights with silver decorations glimmering under the silken sky. It took my breath away.

"Is it everything you expected?" Esmerelda whispered to me and I numbly nodded. Finn leaned towards me, bumping his shoulder into mine.

"Cmon," he gestured for us to follow him and we did so, through the cobblestone streets of Littlewood. It was dry, but the pavements were covered in a fresh layer of snow and it left footprints behind as we walked. There were people walking around the town. It wasn't hectic but there were enough to make it seem busy. It was almost overwhelming, blending into a crowd where nobody knew you, to go completely unnoticed.

We walked along the streets, stopping at stalls here and there. I saw a colorful blur of something called cotton candy that Esmerelda promised we'd stop for before the end of the night. They had little pastries and cakes, different types of hot drinks and food. There were also stalls for jewelry, hats, bags and more.

"Here." Finn stopped suddenly, pulling some human money out of his pocket. "These are amazing." I looked up at the stand that sold chocolate crépes, whatever they were. But soon I found out as I downed the goody goodness.

"Thank you for convincing me to come tonight." I whispered to Esmerelda as she gave me a bright smile back, just as high on the atmosphere at I was. The human world was magical.

"Watch, the wolves are starting to come in." Finn whispered over to me and I noticed people coming into the town together, laughing and talking together as they walked around the stalls. Just as they came in, the town children headed towards the center of the town and began to set up to sing some Christmas songs.

"Can we go listen?" I pleaded and Finn laughed, nodding his head.

"After we can go on the big wheel?" He suggested and I followed his gaze towards the spinning wheel in the sky, craning my neck up.

"Wait, we go up in that thing?" I asked frantically and he took one look at my face and burst out laughing. Esmerelda joined in and we stood for a second, simply enjoying each other's company for a second before the music filled the air. I looked toward the bright young faces and smiled, relaxed.

-/-

"You're actually serious, oh my god." I said suddenly as we waited in like to go up in the big wheel. I watched in complete disbelief as the huge object lit brightly under the dark sky and kept spinning around.

"Don't tell me you're actually scared of this." Esme laughed and I turned to her suddenly.

"Look at it. Even the trees of Arden don't reach that height." I said and Finn wrapped his arm around my shoulders smiling tenderly.

-/-

Alpha Isaac's p.o.v

The second I stepped through the town's gate I stopped in my tracks, my entire body freezing. I could feel the shock and joy race through my mind and body and I almost wanted to race through the town like a madman to chase the scent of wild lilac and morning grass. I knew exactly what that scent meant, after four years of searching for it, I longed for nothing more than my mate.