Chapter 20

Her smallish wolf was standing straight, tail relaxed yet ears pricked, as she pulled us into a mind link.

Listen, she-wolves! In this day when Cassandra, Alpha of the East Clan has freed us, we must run away. I faked being asleep when the Ferals brought me down here, which is how I know the way out! Of course, the escape will be dangerous, and we might die, which is why I'm asking you if you would want to stay.

At that, none of the females replied, rather crowding closer. I sat down on the outskirts of the group, satisfied with where I was.

Good. I see none of you are traitors—

She didn't have time to finish her sentence before I interrupted her.

Maybell, I would appreciate if you didn't talk like that to females who have just been through hell. Just because you haven't been raped, doesn't mean some others have had the same luck as you.

Of course, Alpha. Now, let's talk about our plan of escape. First of all, we need strong fighters at the front, and at the back, to protect the weaker ones. Who, here, knows how to fight?

A large, sandy colored wolf, obviously from the northern part of the South Lands, her body littered by scars, walked up, followed by a gray one with a streaked hide. I stood up, joining their group. Immediately, Maybell ran before me.

No, Alpha, you must not go! If you are defeated, who will lead us?

Are you doubting my capacities, female?

No, no, I am not! she hurriedly answered, but you have but one eye, and you haven't learned to fight with that setback yet!

I stalked towards her menacingly.

Listen here, Maybell. Yes, I have lost an eye, and no, I haven't learned to fight with this. But I had never learned to fight before either. Instinct, is a Wolf's best friend. We all know how to fight, it is in our genetics. We'd do anything to survive. So, I'll go. Two Wolves alone are not enough.

But—, the she wolf started.

No, Maybell. Like you said, I am your Alpha. I make the ultimate decisions, and you have not convinced me to follow your..., I paused, searching for a word, advice.

She bowed to me and stepped out of the way as I joined the pair of fighters. In a distant corner of my mind, I wondered from what Pack or Clan they came from, and I wished I'd grown up there too. Anything they'd lived would have been better than where I'd been born.

So, where are y'all from? I asked, settling down between them.

I'm not from anywhere, really, came the answer of the large, sandy one. I grew up a rogue. If I hadn't been somehow spotted by a helicopter, I'd never have come to the Heat.

I come from a Warrior Pack in the North. Everyone is taught how to fight from a young age, but females are still considered to be inferior. Even if we could overcome a male, if we actually asked for submission we'd be lashed, the almost equally large gray one linked.

Her mind-voice was low and raspy, and it flowed with a slight Northern accent. I admired those females who'd survived their childhood.

What about you? questioned the sandy one.

I grew up in the Southern-most part of the South Lands, and I used to hunt secretly, under the excuse of going to pray the Gods. I taught myself how to fight by instinct, and challenging wild beasts like crocodiles and bears.

Wow. You deserve Amarok's wild, she took a step to me, I am Sahara.

The gray one nodded at me with respect in her deep amber eyes, And you can call me Eclipse.

I am honored to fight with the likes of you.

     I was going to add something but Maybell yipped for our attention. She stood in the middle of the circle of attentive she-wolves, that excluded Sahara, Eclipse, and weirdly enough Dawn, who had stuck by my side since I'd unlocked her collar.

Females, we will soon escape. Crowd around me, and may the fighters position themselves at strategic points to protect us.

     I bristled at the underlying order as I stalked to her. The females parted like the Blood Sea before me.

Maybell, you are overstepping your boundaries. This is your second warning. You get three warnings, then it's out of this Pack, I turned to the females. Which of you are between fourteen and fifteen years old?

    Seven of the two dozen females stepped out, their wolf-shapes still slightly holding that juvenile disproportion.

Y'all will go in the middle, unless you believe you can take down, or at least fight a Feral.

     None of them stepped up.

Good. You're smart. You'll live longer. Who is between fifteen and sixteen?

     The rest of the females except four rose from their positions sitting and lying down.

Get around the youth, and defend them with your lives. The rest of you, do the same to those younger than you. The first barrier will be Sahara, Eclipse and I. Everything should go well, and, in case we have to fight, do it with all you have, and protect the younger ones. They are the least able to defend themselves. Maybell, you go upfront. I'll be right next to you.

     She bowed her head, and my wild relished in it. In her train of thoughts, the impudent female had tried to resist once to many.

Yes, Alpha.

Good. Now lead the way out, I linked, picking up the keys next to me.

A/N) Hey! So, as promised, last week's update, this week's will come a bit later in the evening so y'all can already see this update, and I will also post the re-presented version of Chap 19, so it's prettier!
I hope y'all had a brilliant Christmas, because I was sick, and I only ate half the amount of cake I wanted to eat (I was planning on at least three slices, and I got one and a bit before my mother deemed I was too pale and feverish-looking to eat anything more and sent my to bed☹️).
How was your XMAS?
- Lexie

Have you ever had a boyfriend / girlfriend?

Nope, and I haven't been kissed either, I'm still a virgin, despite what my dirty mind might make you think, and Yonatan is my first ever crush!