Chapter 3

The sun shining through the leaves and illuminating sprinkles of dew like a thousand diamonds was what woke me up. The scenery was truly beautiful in this little clearing, and, with the peaceful setting, it almost seemed as though the late Alpha were sleeping. But I knew better. He was too still to be resting, and an aura of death hung around the area.

     But the irregular waves of heat that racked my frame were coloring the sunny mood with a rain cloud. Desperate to escape them, I started galloping in a random direction, seeking fresh water I could sink in up to my nose in hopes of attenuating the wildfire licking at my abdomen, between my hind legs and under my tail.

     However, the waves were becoming more and more intense with every step I took and soon I was crawling on the ground like a pathetic newborn. The agony was becoming unbearable and I surprised myself by letting a whine of pain leave my throat. I dragged my fire-filled frame across the underbrush until I found a small, clear pond.

     Weirdly, although my senses were sharper now that the heat was there, I didn't smell or sense anything out of the ordinary through the pain-induced haze that had slid down like shutters on my golden eyes. That was why I pulled myself up and, scraping up the last of my withering strength, crawled to the pebbly shore.

     I immersed my throbbing body in the cool water and sighed as the wildfire raging through my veins relented slightly. I let my eyelids fall over my gold irises and completely relaxed. I was now at my most vulnerable state. If a male came along, I would be force mated without a doubt.

•••

     A twig snapped close to my ear and I felt something cool nudge me at the base of my head. It stroked upwards in a smooth and repetitive motion, sending pleasure rippling through me. I realized the heat had cooled down a lot, and I sighed lightly. The sensation stopped, and I was nudged again, harder. I cracked an eye open, then the other, and jumped.

     Two twinkling silver eyes, akin to stars or the Moon, were staring back at me, mischief shining in them. The male.

     I leapt to my feet, ignoring the forest fire that had started raging in my body, and growled ferociously. The male backed a few paces and sat, tilting his head to one side. I opened my mind to his, thoughts a whirlwind of fury.

What were you doing?

He let his tongue loll out in a wolfish grin, Me? Absolutely nothing, Little Wolf. I'm just a simple rogue passing his way.

Cut the bullshit, Little Rogue. Why were you next to me?

Well... I'm a very chivalrous Wolf, and when I saw an appealing she-wolf in distress, whimpering in her sleep, I couldn't help but come to her rescue and lay next to her as I guarded her virginity from other roaming bachelors.

     I flashed a couple teeth.

Why would you do that, truthfully?

     He stilled.

There are things that are better kept unsaid, Little Wolf. This is one of them.

     I turned on my hind legs, not letting the pulsating pain between them show. The sound of footsteps behind me had me stopping.

What are you doing now?

Well I'm staying with you to defend you from any potential danger.