28 | Life With Semaj: The Trailer

Start from the beginning

"What?"

"What you turnin' the air off for?"

"Because it feels like Alaska in here Michael."

"You ever been to Alaska?" He asked, getting up from the table and I grabbed a paper plate to dip me up some food, looking at him skeptically as I walked over to the stove.

"No..."

"Ain't think so," he flipped back on the air. "So it don't feel like no Alaska 'cuz you don't even know what Alaska feels like."

I put down the paper plate and walked right back over to the thermostat turning the air right back off. Michael eyed me, standing in front of the table.

"Semaj."

"Michael," I replied in the same tone, folding my arms.

He kissed his teeth before giving in and sitting back down at the table. I smiled gratefully and went back to dipping up my plate of food before taking a seat in the chair between the table and the wall. I had given myself an extra helping of green beans since I saw that Michael didn't have any. Using my fork I dipped some from my plate twice and put it on his.

"Vegetables are good for you," I reminded him, picking up one to eat.

I thought maybe he'd argue with me on it, or push them right back on to my plate, but instead he laughed, shaking his head as he picked up one and put it in his mouth. I smiled happily and picked up my chicken leg, biting into it. I could definitely get used to living with Michael. I knew it wouldn't always be peaches and cream, but at this point I was confident enough to say that we'd make it through anything.

"I love you," I said out of the blue, but Michael looked away from his plate and to me with a smile on his face.

"I love you too."

I leaned for a kiss and Michael, after he was finished chewing, kissed my lips.

***

Michael was taking me home because it had been a little while since I'd be there, but I needed to tell my mom what I was doing so she just didn't think I just wasn't coming home anymore. Michael sat in the driveway, per my request, just in case things went left and I needed a quick exit. My dad wasn't back from his business trip yet, but I figured if I told my mom and let her sit on it then maybe when it was time to tell my dad she would back me up.

To my luck she was in the kitchen when I walked through the garage door. She was pouring out the contents of a smoothie from the blender and into a glass. She looked like she saw a ghost as she looked up at me.

"Well I almost forgot I had another daughter," she said sarcastically as I made my way inside, closing the door behind me.

"Sorry mommy. I've been with Michael for the last few week."

She nodded, coming around the counter to take a seat at the table with her smoothie. "I know but a text or a call that you're okay would be nice. I know now since you've graduated and you're eighteen you'll probably be spending majority of your time with Michael, but you do have a family here too. And we still have counseling when your father returns."

Ah, counseling. One of the requirements for me to attend if I wanted to keep seeing Michael. It made me want to tell her about moving out ten times easier. I was so tired with all the rules and regulations when it came to just wanting to be with Michael. So, I walked to the table to sit down prepared to have this conversation with my mother when the garage door opened and in walked my dad.