8A | A Shake In Relationships

Simone's POV

I hopped off the bus and like I did every day, for the past few months, I ran to the front of the school building to meet up with Janet. She usually stood near the front doors waiting for me since she got dropped off by Ms. Kat, but this time she was ducked off down by the side of the school building with her new boyfriend. I rolled my eyes as I clutched the straps of my book bag and slowly walked over to her. Ever since Michael and Semaj chaperoned her on the date with him she had been stuck to his side like glue. Sometimes I believed she didn't even want to hang out with me because she had rather be with him. She looked over at me and smiled, lifting her hand up to wave.

"Hey 'Mone."

"Wassup Mo Money'?" Drake asked and I rolled my eyes. I hated the nickname he called me.

"It's Simone, Drake, and I'm good." I turned my attention to Janet, "What are you doing over here? If the teachers see us we'll get in trouble. You know we're supposed to stay in the front."

I turned to see if any of the teachers had walked outside to do a drop-off sweep, but it was only students lingering in the front so far. If we didn't walk back to the front then we'd get in trouble if they saw us and the last thing I wanted was for a teacher to call my parents.

"Chill Mo' mo-I mean Simone," Drake laughed when I glared at him. "We not going to school today."

My eyes widened and I looked at Janet. "What is he talking about?"

"Haven't you ever heard of skipping?" Drake laughed in my face, but I ignored him. Instead I grabbed Janet's arms and pulled her away from him, so I could talk to her one on one.

"You're not skipping school... are you?" I asked my voice shaky.

"Drake wants to skip. He says he does it all the time and has never gotten caught. So..." she shrugged and I shook my head.

"No way am I going to let you skip."

"Let?" She grunted and frowned at me. "You don't tell me what to do."

"I didn't mean it like that Jan... I just... it's not a good idea. And I know you really like Drake, but you don't have to skip school just so he will keep liking you."

"He does like me Simone and I'm not skipping for him I'm skipping because I want to." She folded her arms, but I could see right through her. She was skipping for him.

"Well I'm not going," I folded my arms and Janet rolled her eyes.

Drake laughed behind her and I realized he was listening in on our conversation. "I told you she wasn't gonna go. She's too tight."

Janet sighed and gave me a pitiful look which hurt my feelings.

"Janet don't do this. If you get caught you'll be grounded for the entire summer!"

Drake interrupted us again and he looked annoyed. "Janet, we need to go. Remy's brother is here."

I gawked at Janet now. Drake was a decent guy, but Remy was just bad news. He was an eighth grader who always got in trouble for fighting and on top of that there was a rumor that he smoked cigarettes... and maybe even marijuana. Janet knew he wasn't any good to hang around.

"Please come with me," Janet begged as she grabbed my arm in a tight hold. "We'll have fun and we won't get caught."

Ever since Janet turned fourteen she had become this new person. Sometimes I barely even knew who she was. She wasn't the same girl I had met at the beginning of the year.