Prologue

"You're okay little one." Boras rubbed my back soothingly as tears streamed down my face. "You're not ugly, or a freak, you are perfect. Those other pack kids are all just stuck-up brats who are intimidated by your adorableness."

I whimpered in response, nuzzling myself into his broad shoulder as he carried my 7-year-old self inside. He sat me at the small kitchen table, seeing how the front door lead straight to the kitchen.

"Would my princess like a cup of hot cocoa?" Boras started taking out the ingredients even before I did my silent nod. "Now don't worry about the pack, I'll speak to the alpha to get them to stop."

"No!" I cried, one of the few times I would speak.

Boras paused and stared down at me with a sad look, "Mable, darling, you have to do something in order for this to stop."

I look down at the table, sitting on my hands as I let my chocolate locks fall into my face. I felt my soft hazel eyes prick with tears. Before I knew it, a teal-mug was placed in front of me, a brown bear design smiling at me with a warm brown liquid inside.

I sniffled, freeing one of my hands to wipe my nose and take the mug. I eventually freed my other hand and took sip after sip. I saw that Boras had sat in front of me with a warm smile on his aged face.

I looked at my caretaker with weary gray eyes. He looks so tired now that he's nearing almost 120 years old. Even his usually shiny black hair has gotten duller and even threaten to grow gray.

"I added your medicine to the cocoa, did you notice it?" Boras asked after I finished the cup, I shook my head with a bright smile. He knows I don't like the bitter taste of my medicine. "Good, though I had to add a lot more chocolate than usual to mask it."

My smile grew as I slipped out of my chair, my small form walking slowly to Boras to give him a hug. He lifted me from under my arms, plopping me on his lap so I could wrap my small arms around his prickly neck.

"You are so precious, princess." Boras smiled, something sorrowful was in his eyes, "Always remember your worth."

"Am I?" I quietly questioned, "No one seems to act like that."

"You are to me, and when you grow older your mate will treat you like the queen you are suppose to be." He smiled, squeezing me in a comforting manner.

"But you already treat me like a princess," I also squeeze, feeling so happy with my best and only friend.

"I know, but I won't always be around you know. Sooner or later I will leave you."

I suddenly felt very depressed.

"Y-you can't leave me. No one else will take care of me." I cried, tears stained his gray shirt while I clung to him harder.

"I know I know." He patted my back, without saying anything else.

He can't leave me.

(A/N: Thank you for the amazing cover R_Chander )