3x21 - Before Sunset

Picture of Althea Saltzman

High School

It's morning. Althea is sitting alone at her desk in her classroom, her feet propped up on the desk. She twirls the white oak stake in her hands and takes her feet off the desk. She leans forward and looks at the stake. She turns to look out the door. She hears Carlisle entering the school.

Carlisle walks into the cafeteria. Richard is alone, cleaning up the mess from the dance. "Where's Macy?"

"She bailed. Got called into work at the last minute" Richard tells him.

"Are you kidding me? So, it's just us?"

"Yes, and you're late. Clean up committee started at eight o'clock" Richard reminds him.

Carlisle checks his phone "It's like 8:02"

"Exactly. I managed to turn up on time and I didn't even get to attend the dance that I organized" Richard says bitterly, walking past Carlisle and empties out the trash.

"I'm sorry about your mom. I mean I know you like, hated her and everything, but still...I'm sorry" Carlisle tells him.

"I'm sorry about your teacher. She seemed like a nice girl" Richard says back.

"Yeah. She was"

"I'm gonna get started on the gym" Richard walks out into the hallway. Althea comes around the corner and Richard stops dead in his tracks. "You're supposed to be dead"

"I am!"

Richard rushes at Althea, but Althea throws him against the lockers. She's about to stab him with the white oak stake when Carlisle rushes out of the cafeteria and pins Althea to the locker. Richard takes the stake and stabs Althea with it.

Carlisle and Richard look at each other as Althea takes the stake out. When she finally gets it out, she realizes that they are both gone.

Outside, Carlisle rushes to his car and pulls out his keys and fumbles with them. He sees Althea's reflection in his car window and drops his keys. Althea snaps Carlisle's neck and he falls to the ground. Althea drags the unconscious Carlisle back towards the school as her flesh starts to smoke and burn off. Richard watches her enter the school.

**********

Gilbert Residence

Benny, Demi and Stella are in the kitchen together. Stella brings Benny a towel for his neck wound. "What do you mean she turned? I thought you were standing guard!"

"Don't blame me. Blame Benny the blood bank. He fed her" Demi tells her.

"I had no idea what was happening. Okay, the witches led me there. They wanted her to feed so she turned" Benny explains.

"So, where's the stake now?" Stella asks.

"Oh, you mean the white oak one? The one that can kill an original and wipe out an entire line of vampires? We don't know" Demi glares at Benny as she spoke the last few words.

"If you are so upset with me, why did you feed me your blood to save my life?" Benny asks her.

"Because I do stupid things, Benny. I do things, like let my friend die with dignity when I should have just killed her"

"Alright, so how do we kill her now?" Stella asks.

"I've been trying to figure that out. A witch can't truly make an immortal creature, there is always a way to undo a spell"