Chapter Four

Saturday, 1st December 2018.
97 days to go:

         When my feet touched the cold ground of my tiled floor, I flinched a bit. I didn't stood from my bed though, I sat on the edge, my face in my hands.
If I had the privilege: the audacity, I would go back to sleep then, but there I was, unsanctioned: responsibilities warring my liberty.
I inhaled deeply.

I sort out my phone from under my bed, the time read 6:50am, and the date? Oh God I thought, it was December already.
Couple of things I should have done before the 1st of December, but I had procrastinated so much I cant even keep tract. I made a note on my phone to call my project supervisor later during the day, but even as I wrote it down I knew how unlikely that was to be executed: it is the thought that matters right?

I got out of bed to prepare for school, least I be late. You must be wondering I said school, what would a sixth year student be possibly do in the school.
Yeah, you heard right: School.
While Fridays were holidays, Saturdays were school days.

On Saturday I don't get to go to the hospital, no rounds, no clinics, no presentations: but I do have to attend classes in the university.

It was a relative amount of walking distance to the school from my apartment. I loved walking in the mornings, alone with my thought: i find it relaxing and therapeutic.

The lecture hall was almost empty, save for a few students. I was early. I sort out a far end in the middle and went to sit. I must have been sitting for fifteen minutes before the lecturer came and lecture on pediatrics commenced.

"Hauwa Sani Umar" I heard in my dream, or was it reality?
"Hauwa Sani Umar" the Coordinator called again. I woke up suddenly from my sleep and answered 'present'.
The lecture was over, I had drifted to sleep somewhere in between: and now answering 'present' to the attendance, I felt a bit guilty.

5:55pm

Summer 2014
Fresh man year whiled away quickly and even though exams were over, I didn't start preparing to go home for the holidays. I remained in school for a purpose, been waiting for my exams results.
I could have gone home, but my heart was inclined on staying, so I stayed.

It was a hot summer, I hardly ever get out of my apartment, it was too hot to go anywhere.

     On that day I was in my room, deeply immersed in watching my favorite medical series House M.D. Suddenly, I heard the commotion coming from the sitting room, I ignored it. It grew louder and I couldn't ignore it any further.

I climbed out of my bed and went to out to the sitting room: if only to see the cause of such chaos.
I met my housemates there in the sitting room, jubilating.

"Why" I asked "what calls for such celebrations?"

"Results are out" one of them replied.

My heart jolted.

"Has anyone of you seen my results?" I asked. From all indications they had seen or heard about theirs, also they had passed. Of course, why else will they be celebrating so.

"Has anyone checked mine?" I repeated, this time almost yelling. Another turned now and she replied

"We tried checking yours but the place was so crowded, some of us are going back right now to check those we haven't seen, you can come see yours" she finished and the room fell into an awkward silence.

How convenient, I thought. Instantly I decoded the state of affairs: I knew what was going on then. There was no crowding that would, should have prevented my colleagues from checking my results. There was only one plausible explanation for their prudence: I have failed. Ok then, I have failed but what was the gravity of my failure? How many major courses have I failed? Many questions roamed my mind and I wouldn't find answers standing there. I ran into the room to get my veil then I flew out of the apartment.