Chapter Three

Friday, 30th November 2018.
98 days to go:

         For the reason that it is Friday: Oh thank God it's Friday for it actually meant quite much, I cannot over emphasize and I would not be exaggerating when I say it is a great deal.

Being in an arab country, Friday was the one day I dont get to work. It basically meant no clerking patients, no presenting cases and definitely no residents and consultants reminding me of how I was graduating in a few months and to them: nothing to show of it.

Why do they always do that?
Why must they always make us students feel like heap of crap?

One unanswered question or improperly answered question and so help us God, most doctors in charge of us: not all, but most will make sure we feel worthless.

Merely I dont habour blame on them for finding faults in us and what we do. Ire for blasting us, maybe: but not anger.

If anything our attendants and consultants were only worried, that we will be out there as doctors in a couple of months and we can't not know, we can't make mistakes because if we make mistakes, people die.
Our mistakes are expensive and we can't afford them. The price... too high.

They only feel, we were their responsibility now and they needed to prepare us for what was out there: and what is out there is not pretty. It is rough, unattractive.

    So this day being Friday, I rest my case on everything. I intend to recharge my energy level: for come tomorrow, a new week of ups and downs will commence and I needed to be ready, to accept whatever it comes through with.

3:15pm

The First Day
If there ever was a proper, revised and truthful medical school hand book, it should be nailed 'welcome to evil medical school: the place where your dreams and ambitions are crushed, where you are bound to feel the lowest level of low and while you are at that, you might want to put your life on a stand still for the next six years, good luck with that'.

The present hand book mostly talked about the chronological order in which the course must be taken, the courses the students must pass which was, by the way, all. Also, it states clearly how the student wont make it to the next year if they fail any of the courses.

A meeting for new students was held. A meeting where the head and officials of the school welcome and addressed the new students. Older students came too, as a gesture of good faith, partly to suppress our apprehension and also to render a listening ear, and to serve as a support system if possible.
Truth be told I zoned out after the first hour: not because it was a boring meeting, no, contrariwise, it was so exhausting.

After the meeting, I stood, alone in the hallway of the school of medicine, before the huge board that mapped out the whole curriculum: from the first to the last semester.
"So this is what is to become of my life for the next six years" I muttered under my breath.

I felt a siren of sound in both my ears, I closed my eyes in anguish as the sound decrescendoes. A pang of conscience

The words on that board alone could make someone panic. Some of the words I don't even know what they meant then: words like toxicology, pathology, Immunology, endocrinology... the words were too alien and I didn't get on well with alien. I must have been standing there for some time contemplating, thinking and worrying about what will be.

For the next six years, each time I will walk pass that board, I will stop and reflect on how far I have come and how farther I was yet to go. The board didn't scare me anymore than it did on the first day, in fact, on consequent days, I smiled at it: it was my scale.

P.S 😘💜
Dearly beloved readers

I know it takes time to bring you update on 'Taking on Dr' please bear with me, I have been so busy with work. Please leave me comments in the comment section on what you think on this book and how I can make it better. I look forward to hearing from you.

Till I bring you yet another chapter, until then

Stay blessed 😍💜
May the ink of my pen continue to grace your pages.

With love
Kulu💋