Chapter 24: "I need fresh meat."

The plan was for the Hudson kids to leave but the parents to stay behind. That's what they did. After the quick meeting and planning at the Carson residence, they drove their kids to the airport just to drop them off. They went back to town but changed their clothes at a gas station where it didn't take them that long. Lucious wore a floral polo that they were supposed to wear on the vacation, Ingrid using the same design. They smiled at each other after and went to the car holding hands.

"Oh wait, I forgot to buy snacks," Ingrid said making Lucious groan and go back to the station with her.

The night was darker than usual, maybe it's because they're at the south area of  Frostwallow. Not a lot of people live there. The number of people who live there are the ones who survive the day only with one light bulb in their house and two meals before going to bed and waking up early in the morning to work themselves to the bone.

Ingrid drove the car as they looked for a place to hide, they were considering staying where she used to live before but she thought that it might be a bit of a stretch. They might get caught. Until now, they still don't know who the murderer is.

"I wonder who it is," Lucious said as he scrolled through his phone, he was chatting with Ryland.

"We can't tell, honey," Ingrid said as she took a sharp left and drove deeper into the woods when she was sure that no one was following her. She turned off the lights of the car and parked it in the middle of the dark woods. Only the moonlight cascading down on them was their source of light.

"Will you put your phone down?" Ingrid scolded her husband. "We'll get caught if they see a light."

"Honey, our car is tinted."

"I still don't care," she said making him chuckle.

"Alright," he said and placed his phone on his pocket. "Where will we meet them tomorrow?" he asked when he saw the time. 11:53 pm.

"At Clear Lake," Ingrid said as she took a deep breath and locked the doors. "I've never had this type of excitement for a very long time," she said and chuckles. "The last was when I had to race Animal for a hundred thousand."

"Animal? Is that.. the muppet from Sesame Street?" Lucious laughs.

"Yeah, it is. We had our alias so no one would know our real identity and serve us up to the police when some incidents happen if you know what I mean," she said and smirked.

"What was your alias again?"

"It's nothing special. It was Lemon," she chuckles. "I remember going around town that day before I joined the team. I saw a kid selling lemon juice, so.."

"The kid was your inspiration, I get it," Lucious said making Ingrid laugh.

"I was never on the good side," she said "I didn't expect that after the race, it would be Animal that would win so  my plans for that money went away. He shared it with me tho, it felt as if like it's just a payment for having a night with him. Sadly... he and I didn't see each other after that, a week after I started getting sick, turns out I'm pregnant. I went back to the shack where we do the bets, I asked for him and the people told me that he already left for another country. I didn't know his real name so it was hard to trace him."

"How much did he leave you?"

"Only 20," she shrugged "At least it was a big amount?" she said "So I went then to the South since my parents didn't want a daughter that defies their rules. Had my own place and applied for a job that would give me at least enough money to save up. Had the kids and asked my neighbor to take care of them when I'm at work. We lived at a very grubby place before. But when I worked at the mansion as your father's assistant, we then met.. I guess the next story explains us now," she smiled.