CHAPTER 23

WHY DID THAT HAPPEN? I thought to my self while rubbing Heathers back. She hasn't stopped sobbing and my shirt was completely wet now. "Heather....? Why did that happen? I thought we had until morning at least?" I asked gently, "I don't know? But the first guy...what is this all about why? I know they work for Jorge...but why what was the whole point? To show us how they will kill Chris? WHAT!" She sobbed. "Shhh Heather. Why are you crying so much?" I said shakingly looking out the window. "It....it reminded me of my dad when you guys were taking me down stairs." She said quietly. I instantly regretted asking her that, I felt a pang of guilt in my stomach and a sudden nausea. "Sorry." I said under my breath. She took her head off my chest and rubbed the sweaty hair from her forehead. "Let's go."

We haven't said a word since our last conversation . Alyssa woke up and broke the silence, "Woah...what happened to your shirt Jake?" She asked poking at my shirt, "It's soaked!" She laughed. "We ran into a situation. I don't want to talk about it." She sat back in her seat and played with a gun she grabbed. Hearing a click from behind my seat I turned to look at her while Heather drove on. "What are you doing?" I snapped, more harshly than I meant to. "Loading the gun duh. We do need guns when we get there don't we?" I nodded and turned back around facing the road. I leaned over the counsel and tugged at one of Heathers curls, I twisted it around my finger and laughed when it bounced back. I looked at her stomach and noticed it wasn't retracting. She was holding her breath. "Heather? Heather! Stop that!" I yelled. She let out a gasp and sucked in some air, "Why are you doing that!" I yelled, "WHY DO YOU THINK!" She yelled back at me,stopping the car at the side to not cause traffic. The words echoed through my head like a distant memory. It felt like years ago when really it was only a week ago, "Just let me die." I whispered. "This whole time you've wanted to die?" I asked she didn't answer and pulled back into the road. Alyssa continued loading guns, looking back and fourth at us with big eyes.

The sun rose with a eye burning brightness, today was the day. We either die and save the world, or live and save the world. I was hoping we do the second one with Chris alive also. We were surrounded by tall, medium and small buildings in the city of Atlanta. "Few more minutes and we should be there." Heather said, her voice a very delicate low. "He's alive." I whispered. "I know he is."

"He's alive." Heather repeated, her voice cracking.