CHAPTER 22

IT WAS 4AM AND WE ARE STILL DRIVING. My eyes were glued shut from tiredness and dry drool was stuck to my face. My head fell to the side and my eyes opened with a stickiness to them. Was I crying? "Heather?" She had tear streams down her face and her eyes were blood shot and glued to the road, "Yes?" She asked, her voice emotionless. "Are you okay?" I asked, touching her face, "Yea...yea just...yea." She said emotionless again.

"Few more hours....and if we aren't there we are done." She said. Alyssa was sleeping, drool rolling out of her mouth. She was spread across the back seat her hands under her head. "Yea..," I sighed, "Where are we?"

"Uh...Georgia actually. So we are here but not Atlanta yet." She moaned.

"We will make it." I rubbed her thigh and she sighed.

"Ow. Bruise there." She winced, "Sorry." I replied pulling away. I leaned in to kiss her and she looked at me sideways, leaning back she said, "Go ahead." She started laughing and smiled. Her cheekbones increasing while she did. Her hair was in a long black ponytail and I was deciding where to kiss her. I saw this cute curved part of her jawline and leaned in and brushed my lips up against the curve. She giggled and gently pushed my face away, "Oh my gosh! That tickles!" She covered her nose blushing. I pulled away smiling a little.

Oddly, I realized, the highway was completely empty except for us. "This is weird." Heather said, craning her neck. "HEATHER STOP!" I yelled she slammed on the breaks before running over a dead body laying in the road. Blood splattered all around the road. A man escaping the shadows beyond came into view, the headlights shadowing his face. "Don't get out." Heather snapped putting a arm against my chest. "Wasn't planning on it." I whispered afraid the man can hear. The man was holding a gun in one hand and a knife in the other. He mouthed the words "Out of-" and tapped his wrist like looking at a watch, "Out of time." Heather whispered. I heard the click of the locks as the man walked towards our car grinning viciously. He tapped Heathers window with the knife and smiled when she leaned into me.

He gestured to roll down the window. Heather shook her head, tears streaming down her face. He banged the knife against the window, his smile turning to a evil frown. He pointed the gun to his temple and started to sob, he was yelling, "DONT MAKE ME DO THIS!" So loud we can hear him through the bullet proof windows. Heather shook her head into my collarbone clenching her eyes shut, the back of her palms pushed up against her eyes, clenched in fist.

He sobbed one last, "No."

Before the gun went off, and the man collapsed.