Chapter 24: Free at last

We all got to attend Jesse's funeral. I was saddened that not many people showed, we stood a distance away chained up and then chained to one another with burlap sacks over our heads.

Each of us picked our favorite tapes to put in, Crazy grabbed Madonna, Millie grabbed Heart, Ronnie grabbed The Cars, Jack took Tommy James, Landon grabbed a Smokey Robinson and Michael took the Ambrosia (which was a bit of a surprise to me). I loved them all, so instead I grabbed the tape we always danced to The Doobie Brothers.

After the flowers where thrown, we walked over and dropped our tapes in each staying silent.

Jolene was there wiping tears and I watched her drop her own tape in. I hadn't known she grabbed one.

Looking down at it, I smiled, KISS.

After they began burying him, we left and got taken back to the cells.

I was uncuffed and eyeing the group who all seemed dazed.

Five hours later, we each had our showers and dinners. I wanted to sleep but couldn't because how the hell do you sleep knowing a friend died?

The door opened and Jolene walked in eyeing me "You ready?" She asked.

Like ever!

I nodded and placed the last of my items in the box with the tapes.

Looking to Millie, I watched her smile at me with a tired and sad look. "Bye Millie, see you in a couple days." I said watching her wink over at me.

As my cell door opened, I looked to Ronnie and Jack "See you guys. I'll probably sneak in and bring you snacks...or porn." I smirked at Ronnie who grinned.

Looking to Landon, I took my bag of treats left and shoved them into his cell "Miss you big guy." I said grinning at him.

He smiled "Stay gorgeous sweetheart."

I smirked "I'll try kid." I sighed and looked over at Michael "See you soon Mikey." I said watching him wave at me without taking his eyes off his book.

Taking my box, I walked over to Marshal. Danny and Lenny giving each a hug.

I walked out the doors feeling freedom wrap me up.

Taking a deep breath I eyed the long hall.

One month later, and I'm finally free.

Free at last.

It was eleven at night and since it's a Tuesday everyone's bound to be asleep. I couldn't wait to wake them in the morning.

"Ill be releasing Michael later tonight. His paperwork is still being drawn out." Jolene said as she walked me down the long hall.

I made my way up the steps to a door pushing it open and following Jolie through some heavily guarded doors before going to the door by the front and smiling at the inside of the academy.

God I missed this place.

Jolene handed me my key and walked off leaving me to the stairs and my freedom.

I hurried to my room and unlocked it smiling widely as I headed inside and shut the door locking it behind me.

It felt good to be back.

I sighed and placed the box beside the door going to the tub running myself a bath and trimming my hair to my lower back, it was too long at my waist.

Taking my laptop, I typed in Stylistics, letting their song You Are Everything play through my room as I sat in the tub listening to the beat.

"I thought it was you, as she turned the corner I called out your name. I felt so ashamed when it wasn't you.." I sang soft listening to his voice.

"You are everything, and everything is you." I sang quietly, not wanting to lose the way he said it.

Jesse...

I shut my eyes and drifted off feeling drained.

Michaels POV:

She walked out the door, freedom engulfing her and the way she kept her head high. She'll be the ruler one day, I can see it.

In my trial, shit was going downhill quick. Everything ended with bad news on my side, up until Anne's aunt Jolene walked in and then I was free. Not just free, but free the next night. I didn't understand why, but I knew Anne did something to save my head.

I wonder if I could ever kill her, she managed the make the one guy in here who hates everyone like her, the one who didn't talk laughed because of her and she's managed to make even the guards like her. She's a breath of fresh air, inviting and warm.

Hours passed, and then Jolene came to my cell unlocking it and smiling down at me "Michael, come with me." She said gesturing for me to grab my shit.

Her eyes didn't hold hatred like the rest of the schools. I'm sure I'm going to be the most hated man here.

I took my books and flannel walking out the cell behind her, Millie waved bye and I gave her a small smile. Crazy chick.

One day that girls going to be set free and I'm not sure how many STDs will follow.

Jolene pulled out my duffel from a door and held it out to me "I'm guessing you planned on running off with Anne." She said clearing her throat.

Shit.

I forgot I packed that, damn.

I took the duffel and she handed me an envelope of paper work and a key. "Let me clear something up quick for you Mikey." She said suddenly seeming very threatening.

Her eyes moved over my face and down my chest "You're a handsome boy, the type that my Annalise would fall for. I'm just going to tell you now, she doesn't know who I am, or her father. We'll keep that a secret. Understood?" She asked.

Not so nice now, but I can understand, she's just being a protective guardian.

If I was in her shoes, I'd be the same. After all it's my fathers fault the secret even exists.

I gave a single nod and she nodded back "Wonderful, now here's another thing, if you hurt her, in any way, at all, I'll make sure they burn you on a fucking stick out front for everyone to see." She said calmly.

She squinted her eyes lightly, threateningly, "I've watched over her for nineteen years, you will not be the downfall of my girl." She said before crossing her arms over her chest.

Truth is, I will be, but that's not for a few years.

In fact, I'll be the one who not only brings her to her downfall, but takes her life entirely.

"Alright let's get this tour on." She said turning and beginning to walk me on a long ass tour around the campus.

If Anne doesn't know Jolenes her aunt, who the hell does she think Jolene is?

How can she not see that she looks like the damn woman? They've both got those wild eyes and big lips.

Jolene's a beautiful woman but not really into the older chicks.