16: Get Low

"It's the dead of summer, Wynter!" Ashton giggled at his own joke. "You were just complaining how hot it is, but you're wearing a knit beanie! Just take it off."

    "No!" I cried, touching my beanie defensively. "My hair looks like crap and scientists have proven I'm 500% cuter in a beanie."

    He shook his head and giggled more, the camera shaking as he quaked with laughter. We'd been FaceTiming on and off all day during breaks while he and the boys were in the studio at their house in LA with, get this, Alex freaking Gaskarth. Of course, I hadn't actually gotten to see Alex, because Ash was worried about me not being able to control my inner fangirl, particularly after I almost deafened 'my Aussie' when I heard Alex talking in the background.

    "You are cute… but that seems like a very specific study for the scientists to prove."

    I pouted my bottom lip and gave him the biggest dose of puppy eyes I could manage. "Are you saying I'm not cute enough for scientists to study?"

    "No. They were too busy studying me!" He couldn't seem to stop that day. Giggling, I mean. I'm 100% sure that had something to do with the fact that he was just as excited, if not more, as me that Alex freaking Gaskarth was there for the entire day.

    "You're such a dork. A cute dork, but a dork nonetheless."

    "Hey!" He whined.

    "Don't worry about it, man. They're the meanest when they like ya." A familiar voice, deep and slightly raspy put in.

    Every muscle in my body tensed as I used every ounce of my self-control to restrain myself from emitting yet another bloodcurdling scream. I know that voice like… like I know the lyrics to an All Time Low song. In case you were wondering, I don't really know the back of my hand that well. Ashton looked down at his phone and noticed my eyes widening to the size of beach balls, and laughed.

    My body was almost shaking as I finally managed to mumble through gritted teeth, "Please do not tell me that's Alex Gaskarth."

    "Hi!" A brown-haired man poked his face into the frame, and I lost it. Completely beyond the point of screaming excitedly, I open-mouthedly spasmed, dropping my phone on the sofa beside me, alternating between squeezing and punching a throw pillow. Looking back on it, I probably looked like a madwoman, but at that particular moment, all I could think of was HOLY FUCKING SHIT I HAVE MADE OUT WITH A BOY THAT'S WRITING WITH ALEX GASKARTH.

    Weird, but true.

    The sounds of male laughter rang through the tinny speakers of my iPhone, and I felt the heat of a thousand suns burning my cheeks. Composing myself took about as much effort as not crying in the middle of Calculus class sometimes; I struggled to pull myself together as I dug my phone from in between the sofa cushions where it'd fallen in all the excitement.

    "Are you okay?" Alex chuckled, as Ash struggled to drink some water while laughing. "Damn, I knew I looked scary without shaving, but I didn't think it was that bad."

    "No!" I protested, You look fine… just, wow. Hi."

    "Hi!" Alex repeated, laughter evident in his voice. "I'm Alex. In case you got me confused with Scarlett Johannsen. That happens a lot."

    I giggled, feeling more at ease with his joke. "Sure it does. I'm Wynter. In case you confused me with John Stamos."

    "Uncle Jesse!" Alex smiled. "But you're the Wynter this kid's been talking about all day."