Chapter 1

I own none of the characters except for Althea

Althea walked down the paved sidewalk drenched from head to toe in this thunderstorm. Her rain coat barely kept the rain off. And of all days to leave her umbrella at home. She snuggled closer to herself to bring some warmth. She let out a long breath. Life hasn't been easy for her. She's been living on her own for 2 years and she's only 16. Youre probably wondering why hasn't the NYPD done anything to get her a new home. Well, she reported her parents missings but they never returned her calls. So that left Althea by herself. Her parents had set their bills up to auto pay online. The things technology could do.. She kept walking clutching her backpack close. She had mountains of homework to do for her college classes. She was in the advanced high student program with the Borough of Mahanttan Community College. She had always excelled from a young age and her parents thought it would be a good thing to put her in the program 3 years ago. Of course, it will make the whole college process easier but it caused her to grow up quickly. She would watch as normal high school students would walk down the street in their sparkly prom dresses as she sat in her room finishing her 7 page paper on the migration of sharks for her oceanography class. She never had the chance to be normal. She sighed as she continued on to her destination. Suddenly, as she passed by an alley she hearad a swift movement and caught a glance at a huge shadow. The shadow was much larger then a human's. "Hm", she hummed softly creeping into the alley curiosity taking over. She could hear the pitter of feet running through puddles down the alley. As the sounds became fainter, she became faster. She power walked, then she jogged and then broke into a run following the steps. Finally as she hit a dead end she saw a manhole open and the large figure entered. "Hey!", she called out. The figure's head snapped towards her. It was nothing like she had ever seen. It seemed to be some type of mutant. Like any normal human being, she should be scared but she wasn't. His present brought her a sense of peace she couldn't explain. His warm green eyes caught her icy blue ones for a few moments before he disappeared down into the manhole into the sewers on New York City.