Chapter 41

Though they were turtles living underground, their refrigerator was stocked full of food. Donnie had also given Althea some of Raph's favorite recipes. She pulled out what she needed and began preparing the food. Donnie sat with her in the kitchen reading off instructions. As she cooked, the smells started growing stronger and peaking some turtle's interest. Leonardo was the first to peak in and Donnie filled him in on their plan. Though he wasn't always in the loop, Leonardo could easily tap into what was happening with his brothers. He knew that Althea meant a lot to Raphael and was here to help in any way possible. Althea was cooking some rice with Raph's favorite kind of chicken. The rice was almost done and the chicken was starting to cook. The scent brought in Michelangelo who was always hungry. "No", Althea said hitting Michelangelo's hand with her spatula. "This is for Raph isn't it?", he sang to her. She didn't respond but the smile on her face tipped him off. "He's going to love you", Mikey said with a laugh. "Well he'll love you more than he already does. You should read the stuff he puts in his journal." The rest of them stopped and looked at him. "What journal?", Althea asked. "This bad boy", Mikey said pulling something out of his shell. A beat up book slid across the counter and over to Althea. Raphael's name was etched onto the front."You guys, we can't read this", Althea said picking up the book. "Raph's on his night watch and won't be here for another hour, go ahead", Mikey said trying to coax her into it. "Reading a chapter or two won't hurt", Donnie questioned. Althea knew he was only saying that because he was curious as well. "Fine."

Althea opened the book as she continued cooking. She went to the last few entries and began reading. The writing was not that legible but she could see her name mentioned a few times. One paragraph did catch her attention. "I don't understand why I care so much about her. She's like a dang Rubik's cube and I've barely made a dent in figuring her out. I may be over exaggerating with the whole Europe thing. She's very private about her parents and if it had something to do with them, I should give her some time before she's ready to talk about. What the hell am I saying? This girl has me acting like a nutcase but I just can't shake her." While reading, Althea dropped a spoon on the ground. She bent down with the book still in home. "I'm home", a familar voice called out. Althea looked up at Mikey who swiftly took the book out of her hand and slipped it back into his shell.  "What's going on here?", he asked coming into the kitchen. Althea rose from the ground softly and went back to her food. Everything was now done. She placed the rice in a large bowl and left the chicken in the pot. "You must be hungry after your night  watch so I made you dinner", she said quietly. Raphael eyed her carefully as he picked up a plate. His eyes never left her after he fixed his food. Althea's heart was beating out of her chest. He sat down next to Donnie and began eating. The rest of them watched as he ate. He took small bites before shoveling it into his mouth. "What are you guys starin at?", he asked looking at them. "Oh nothing", Mikey said with a bright smile on his face. Althea felt a buzz in her pocket and pulled out the phone Donnie had made for her. "Phase One completed"