twenty-three

there was silence on the other end of the line, until i feared we disconnected, or that something had happened on keri's end. "mom, you there?" tyler questioned.

there was a cry on the other end of the line. "y-you found alexis? and you're sure about this?"

daniel squeezed my hand as he smiled and me, and i weakly returned his smile. all this information was overwhelming me. "yes, mom, we're quite positive about this. she's told us her side of the story, and it matches yours. also, she goes by leah now."

we could hear keri's sniffling start again. "c-could i maybe talk to her?" she whispered hesitantly.

as i nodded, daniel let go of my hand and handed the phone to me as the three of them moved to head out of the room. "privacy," daniel mouthed as he and tyler walked out, tyler squeezing my shoulder as he did so.

as zach passed me, he ruffled my hair. "do you want us to tell the rest for you?" he asked quietly. when i nodded, he smiled at me, gave a thumbs-up, and walked out.

i picked up daniel's phone, and it felt heavy in my hand. keri was still crying. i, too, felt like crying as i spoke to my mother for the first time.

"hello?"

**

an hour later, i walked out of the back lounge, tear streaks on my face and a crumpled-up ball of tissue in my hand. yet, i felt lighter, and more carefree than i had in years. upon seeing me, corbyn rushed towards me as i climbed onto my bunk.

"they told us everything," he said, eyes searching my face for any signs of anger or sadness. "how did the call go? are you doing okay?"

i smiled. "yeah, i'm peachy," i told him. as he gave me a suspicious look, i laughed and swatted at his arm. "seriously!"

at that, he let out a smile and sat down on his bunk, which was directly under mine. "okay."

"and here i thought i'd never hear leah laugh again," commented jonah as he strolled up. i rolled my eyes as he smirked.

"seriously, though, leah," said eben. "is everything okay? the call-"

"the call isn't important now, but the fact that i'd just seen zach cooking ramen is," called jack. "he's planning to eat my hair!"

zach kicked jack in the shin and he winced. "these aren't for me, these are for lels," he told jack. "she hasn't eaten breakfast."

i felt my heart flutter as i tried and failed to hold in my smile and a blush. "thank you, z."

jack held a hand to his heart as corbyn pretended to swoon. "zach, are you cheating on me? i thought we had something!" he exclaimed, fake hurt.

jonah snorted as zach rolled his eyes and presented me with a bowl of steaming-hot ramen in a cup, together with wooden disposable chopsticks and a plastic spoon. "it's spicy and hot, and it's ramen. the weather outside is cold, so i figured this was the best choice," zach said as i thanked him again.

speaking over zach, jonah said something to jack. "dude, you should've established the fact that you and zach were over when leah came on tour," he called. "he even asked her on a date, remember?"

jack pretended to faint. "oh, my word! i'll just call someone else then."

tyler walked over and offered us some cheddar cheese doritos as eben told us a joke. picking up a handful of doritos and putting it on a paper plate that corbyn handed me. eating the noodles zach cooked -- or more like added hot water to -- i looked around at everyone.

when we laughed together, it felt normal again. not that it would ever be normal again. i had parents and four siblings now.

my surname was no longer gray, it was seavey.

and i felt -- whole -- for the first time.