Chapter Five

"How does this work again?" I try to move my thumb across my fingers, but nothing happens, Diane takes my hand gently, stopping my repetitive movements.

"It's just like snapping your fingers, you run your thumb across the tips of the rest of your fingers." She shows me, glittering pink sparks shoot out of her thumb when her index finger and thumb finally separate, her beautiful almond shaped nails shine brightly, even though they were painted a dark almost black purple. "It is the most basic magic movement there is. Try it again but quicker." She was being so patient with me, I was grateful because it was taking me forever to master even the simplest of magic movements.

I snap my fingers, hoping that the sparks might come out, but nothing does, and then with a loud whoosh the table lights on fire. "Ah!" I fall backwards off of my chair in surprise, peeking up from the ground, Diane sits calmly before the fire, her right arm extends with her palm up, her hand flips over counter clockwise and her thumb and two inner fingers meet in a pinching motion as she slowly moves her hand away from the fire, I watch as wisps of air are pulled away from the fire and to her hand, like a vacuum, the fire dies out before my eyes.

"Well, you definitely have magic, at least we know that now, your control is weird though, like something is stopping you from using your magic, it builds up behind the wall, and then suddenly bursts through. So, when you're trying to create sparks, nothing happens, but when you do it enough times, a fire erupts because your magic finally breaks free. I think we should go to the nurse, maybe they can help you." She was worried for me, I could tell, but I didn't feel sick, or like something was wrong with me, I just felt normal.

It takes us twenty minutes to walk from the practice room, to the nurses' station, not exactly good floor planning, if the nurses' office is so far away it could be an issue if something big happens in the practice room. "What seems to be the issue?" The nurse asks as soon as we step in, it was a woman who looked to be in her mid to late thirties, her blonde hair was in a tight bun, she wore black pantsuit, with heels, the only thing identifying her as a nurse, was an engraved nametag pinned to her top.

"Something is blocking her magic, just watch." Diane looks at me expectantly, I sigh and begin to try to do the spark movement.

"I fail to see what the issue is, maybe she just doesn't have any magic-" Right as she was about to finish her sentence a fire bursts into existence on the floor, right in front of her, singeing her heels. Diane moves quickly and removes the air from the fire, putting it out.

The nurse looks at her slightly scuff marked shoes from the heat with distaste, "I see the issue, it is as if your magic is being stopped and then suddenly bursts through, magnifying the magic you are using tenfold. So, simple sparks turn into a fire." Diane brightens at her words, they almost matched her description entirely.

"That's what I told her, then I said we should come here, for advice. After all you are the most experienced in this type of stuff." The nurse stands up taller at her words, looking proud, she looks down her nose at Diane.

"Of course, I am the best in the world at this, I've had this job for over three decades. Now, I will need you to strip please." I look at the nurse in shock, I must have heard her wrong.

"Did you say strip?" She nods and I stare at her. "As in remove my clothing and get naked?" Why the hell did I need to get naked, what exactly did she need to see before helping me, there couldn't be that many things that could block my magic, could there?

"Yes, how hard is that to comprehend? I realize you are a Low Zillah, but really I expected more from quick young minds." I frown at her, she was a Low Zillah too, I don't know what she was talking about, why she was talking as if she was above me.