Chapter Fourteen

I dig in my heels and struggle but nothing seems to stop this insane man on a mission, I couldn't believe this was actually happening, I didn't want this to happen, it brought back too many memories, I pause in shock as that thought registers in my mind, I didn't think I had ever been whipped before, was this a hint of what I had experienced in the blank year, unfortunately my moment of shock was all they needed to strip me of my jacket and shirt, leaving me in a bra, and chain me to the post.

I was trembling as vague impressions of a whip hitting my skin surfaced, this couldn't be happening not again, someone would stop this before it happened, they had to, I didn't think I could go through this again and survive. A whip cut through emotion as easily as it does to skin, seeing the mutilating scars was one of the worse parts of the experience, an eternal reminder to what had happened. The first hit comes down and I barely even feel it as I go into shock, then the burning pain floods my back in one cruel strike, they come in rapid succession after that, I would have expected myself to scream at the pain, I should have screamed at the pain, but all I did was remain silent and stare ahead of me blankly, I had to remain silent, my screams only made Him want to hurt me more.

What had I done this time to deserve this punishment, broke a plate? Did a strand of hair fall out of place? Was my sister rebelling against him again? Was he ever going to stop coming after me? Punches and kicks, slaps and shoves, I even preferred his sharp knife to the whip, which of course means he chose the whip to punish me often.

"Amara? Amara?" No, don't taunt me, it always gets worse when you taunt me, yet I remained silent, if I tried to plead with him, it would only make it worse, I stare blankly ahead of me, already anticipating the next blow. "Amara? Sweetie? It's over now, don't worry, we're going to get you all fixed up okay. You'll be fine, you'll be fine." Why did he sound so feminine? Was he try to play tricks on me again, trying to see if he could get a response out of me?

It wouldn't work, I had learned the hard way that it was best to just stay silent until he got bored and left. Today was longer than his usual sessions, I must have really upset him, but I can't remember what did, how had I upset him, I'm usually so careful now that Lucinda's life is in the balance. He would hurt her if I rebelled, the only reason she was still alive was because I listen to him, I can't disobey him, no matter what tricks he tries, I can't fall for it.

A cooling touch hits my back and I tense, expecting the salt that usually comes after he throws the ice water on me, but instead of intensifying the burn, the burn dies down, my skin tingles, I didn't believe this, it had to be another trick, he wouldn't heal me until he was satisfied I had suffered enough, until I cracked long enough to beg him to heal me. Yet, the numbing cool touch was there, taking away the pain, making me feel relaxed, I wouldn't believe it, not until he told me my punishment was over, silent and blank, silent and blank.

"Oh, Amara. What did you do to get this to happen?" The fog lifted long enough for me to recognize the voice, Nurse Kala, why was she here? Wasn't she at the academy? The fog drags me back into its clutches, this had to be a trick, he's never let me off so easy, it's always whipping and then days of suffering, never whipping and healing right after. That offered me the least amount of pain, maybe he had another dinner set for tonight, God forbid his favourite toy be damaged in front of his subjects. "Diane? Why is it this bad, they usually only make first offenders endure a few strikes, what did she do to deserve this many?"

"She disobeyed a superior's order through a Low Zillah, she was requested to appear before her sister and she refused, calling her a bitch, that is why she was punished." I hear someone scoff and I wait for the next blow to hit my skin, He must be punishing me for this, but what did I do wrong? I wouldn't obey a superior's orders, how was my sister involved, this was all so confusing, but I did not dare to move.