Chapter Thirty-Eight

"No, not for the lack of potentials, but none have called to me if you know what I mean. Though I hear that you might have some Aegis admirers yourself, Harmony was in a real twist about how much attention those three were giving you over her." I give her a confused look, who the hell was she talking about.

"Who's Harmony?" She looks at me with annoyance, like I've said the stupidest thing she could think of, she's lucky though, because I could have said worse things.

"She was the one who you threatened a while ago, saying her tea was poisoned." My mouth falls open in surprise, that was her name?

"Oh, you mean Bitch Queen. My God, is that like an ironic nickname or something?" Cindy looks at me in utter shock, her mouth wide open.

"You call her what... Bitch Queen was it? Where the heck did that come from!" I look at her in amusement, she seemed genuinely upset that I had given her friend such a rude nickname.

"Yes, granted never to her face, always in my head though, ever since she first warned me away to stay away from my trio." I cough a little as I realize that I slipped on my words.

"You call them your trio? Wow, I didn't realize your relationship with them had progressed so far." I scratch my neck awkwardly, looking away from her.

"It hasn't, they draw me to them so easily and when they are around, I feel on top of the world but when they are gone its like pieces of me are missing, I feel empty and broken. So, I split it off, I know that I have no future with them, and I cannot allow them to break me any further or else I might not be able to put all of the pieces back together." She opens her mouth to continue but I decide to bring up something that would distract her. "I am beginning to remember the dark year."

"Hey, you can't just cut me of-.... What did you just say? Did you just say that you were remembering the dark year?" Her eyes were wide with terror, even if she no longer remembered the trauma her body suffered, her body did, and it was reacting appropriately to the thought of the dark year.

"Yes, I haven't remembered it all yet, just bits and pieces and I won't tell you about most of it." She scowls at me looking ready to argue but I cut her off once again. "It's too horrible to bring up, I won't put you through that. Just know this, we were with Him for a lot longer than a year and that we both suffered ten times worse than you can possibly imagine."

"Will I begin to remember as well?" She sounded scared and I didn't blame her, I would be scared too, hell I am scared. But I had chosen to force the memories out and once I made that choice there was no stopping it.

"No, you will never remember, I made sure of that when we left that place, hopefully you will never have to see Him again." I knew it was hopeless, he would come for me one way or another and I knew that I wouldn't be able to stay by Cindy's side and protect her from him at the same time, even now I could feel his taint fluttering around the edges of whatever magic guarded this place.

He remembered now too, and he wasn't happy. "That's the second time you've mentioned Him, Him who?" I didn't really want to tell her anymore, but she at least deserved to know our tormentor's name.

"Cassius, His name is Cassius." I felt like I had signed my own death warrant as soon as I spoke His name, His name alone bringing up vivid pictures of his coldly beautiful face. As soon as I said it, I felt His reaction, the darkness soared around the edge of the magic before striking the wall hard, I flinch as my entire body shakes, but when I opened my eyes, everything else was trembling as well, he had caused the island to tremor at His strength. "Promise me that you will never say His name, promise me please. I know it sounds foolish, but if you say His name, He will be able to find you.