Chapter 1

It had been three months since the battle of Camlann and since Merlin left Arthur. Throughout these three months, Arthur gradually started to understand why Merlin kept his magic a secret and slowly started to feel guilty about asking Merlin to leave.
Arthur knew that he wasn't angry about Merlin's magic. Instead, he felt betrayed that Merlin didn't trust him enough to tell him about his magic. The fact that Arthur trusted Merlin with his life made him feel even worse. Ever since he became king, Arthur started to understand that magic wasn't evil and he knew it could sometimes be used for good as well. He'd talked about magic with Merlin before and had asked for his opinion on that matter. Why didn't that show Merlin that he could trust Arthur?
Arthur contemplated, thinking that maybe Merlin didn't tell him because he was scared of the way Arthur would react or scared that Arthur would hate him. Of course, with the way Arthur did react, he just further strengthened this thought and gave him a reason to fear him. It was no wonder Merlin didn't tell him about his magic.
The first few days after Merlin left, Arthur had just wanted to be alone because he felt betrayed by the man he trusted the most. However, after almost a month, he felt confused and conflicted, so he went to Gaius and asked him if he could explain Merlin's magic for him. He wanted to ask Merlin himself to understand it more but because of what had happened the month before he had no other choice but to turn to Gaius.
Gaius explained that Merlin was born with magic, that Merlin didn't have any choice in the matter, which made Arthur feel even guiltier. He had wanted to look for Merlin, to let him explain everything, so he did. He looked everywhere for him but found no trace of him in Camelot.
He spent two months looking for him but still found no sign of the warlock. He asked the neighbouring kingdoms of Nemeth, Caerleon and even Essetir about Merlin but none of them could find him. Arthur started to worry even more; what if Morgana had captured him? Or worse, what if Arthur had just given Merlin a reason to abandon him and join Morgana's forces?
He had to find Merlin before it was too late, so he summoned the Knights of the Round Table and ordered a servant to ready the horses. The king and the knights went looking for Merlin, tracing back the path they were on three months ago when Merlin had attempted to cure Arthur.
Soon enough, night fell upon the men, so Arthur and the knights made camp. They were talking and eating their dinner when suddenly they heard some strange noises in the bushes. They took their swords in hand and quietly crept to the bushes. They pushed some of the bramble away and froze when they noticed who was lying in there.
The knights saw a boy who was too skinny for his age with raven-coloured hair. His clothes and neckerchief were ripped and dirty. He looked like he had just come out of a burning house. He was on the ground, knees to his chest, just staring at the ground. Arthur couldn't believe his eyes, they had finally found him! They had finally found Merlin!
"Merlin?" asked Arthur.
Arthur slowly approached him but before he could get too close, Merlin flinched, backing away from Arthur, whimpering. Arthur backed away fast, not wanting to cause Merlin anymore distress.
"Merlin, it's alright. Look, it's me, Arthur."
Arthur tried to get close to Merlin, but he kept backing away until he was backed into a tree, not daring to make eye contact with any of the knights.
"Merlin, look at me. Look, there's Gwaine, Lancelot, Leon, Elyan, and Percival," Arthur prompted. "It's alright, you're safe. We're going to take you home."
Merlin didn't listen and kept whimpering. Arthur could tell just by looking at Merlin that he was tortured. He would be lying if he said he didn't blame himself.
"Hey Merlin. Do you know who I am?" Lancelot asked quietly. "I'm Lancelot. Do you remember me? I wouldn't hurt you now would I?"
Merlin slowly nodded his head and slowly looked up at Lancelot with the most broken and helpless look they had ever seen on Merlin's face.
They were all shocked beyond reason when they realised that Merlin's mouth was stitched up and his face was covered with blood. Merlin looked absolutely miserable and Arthur couldn't do anything about it. Inadvertently, Arthur got just a little jealous when Merlin only answered to Lancelot, but he brushed off the feeling, knowing that it wasn't the time to dwell on that; it was his fault after all that Merlin was in this condition.
"So Merlin, are you hungry?" Lancelot asked, still maintaining his quiet and gentle tone.
Merlin nodded his head slowly.
"Can we remove the stitches from your mouth so that you can eat?"
Merlin just stared at Lancelot. From the look on his face, Lancelot knew Merlin was hesitant.
"It's alright, Merlin. It's perfectly safe. I promise."
With that, Merlin nodded once more. Lancelot brought out his dagger, giving Merlin a warning.
"It'll hurt only for a bit. After that, you'll feel much better, okay?"
Merlin nodded and Lancelot began to cut the stitches. Merlin made some soft moaning sounds but other than that, he didn't put up a fight.
When they had finished, Lancelot asked Gwaine to fetch some food and water for Merlin. Gwaine brought the food to Lancelot and Merlin. Merlin started to whimper, clearly afraid of Gwaine, but Lancelot reassured him.
"Hey, hey, it's alright it's alright, it's Gwaine, do you remember?" Lancelot asked. "He's your best mate, the one who always goes to the tavern!"
Merlin finally smiled a small, sad smile and just nodded. Gwaine returned the smile with a huge grin.
"Come on mate, drink some water, okay?" Gwaine said.
Merlin nodded, somewhat hesitantly, and drank some water.
After that, Lancelot gave Merlin some food and made Merlin a bed so he could sleep. Throughout the night, Merlin acted the same. No one could get close to him except Lancelot and Gwaine, which upset Arthur more than he cared to admit. He was the one who was supposed to comfort Merlin. After what had happened all those months ago, he owed Merlin that and much more, but Merlin was terrified of everyone except Lancelot and Gwaine. Arthur sighed. Maybe in the morning things would be better.