Mashed Potatoes

"Riley.." I hear someone from above me.

"Do you think she took something?" Who the fuck is here?

"Jesus no! I don't think she'd resort to that. Baby," Sarah shakes me a little. "wake up."

"Why?" I mumble, my eyes still shut.

"Because Miss Rabe is here.."

"...why?" Leave it to Sarah to bring the school guidance counselor to my house when I'm on the floor crying.

"Because what happened in the office today wasn't okay, Riley." I can hear Miss Rabe and Sarah sit on the floor next to me.

"Sarah I know she's your friend and it would be great if she helped but I can I please just lay on the floor in peace?" I groan. "Please Miss Rabe?"

"Sarah didn't ask me to come here Riley. And you can call me Lily if you'd like."

"Okay Lily please. Sarah please. I don't know what's so hard to understand." I sit up.

"I better go." Lily stands up.

"Thank you for checking in Lily." Sarah calls after her as she leaves.

"Are we going to argue about me acting like a monster?" I ask looking up at the ceiling.

"No, we're going to watch a movie, go to sleep, get up early tomorrow to watch the parade, and enjoy our break. We'll figure things out but I just want to make sure you're safe."

I lean onto her lap and let her play with my hair. "I want to marry you one day Sarah."

"I want to marry you too, Ry." She kisses the top of my head. "But you have to graduate high school first." I love that she can always make me laugh.

In the morning we get up to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and eat dry Cheerios. We don't want to eat a bunch for dinner but we decided a small snack is okay.

"Charlie Brown is still goin strong." I note.

"Him and Scooby-Doo." She laughs. "I don't think Sponge Bob made an appearance." She gasps.

"Maybe they retired his balloon." I shrug. "Or we missed it."

We cuddle and watch the parade until 11 then I go downstairs to start the potatoes. Every year I make the mashed potatoes because it's the only think I know I won't fuck up. Sarah helps me peel them then I cut them up and let them boil.

"I don't know how to make mashed potatoes.." Sarah sighs.

"What can you make?" I laugh.

"I can make cereal, rice crispy treats, and coffee but that's about it." She shrugs.

"That's adorable." I say before going to lay out my outfit.

We have to be over there at one and by the time I finish the potatoes and get dressed it's 12:45.

"Oh shit bust a move Sarah we gotta go!" I say as I finish throwing on my clothes and running downstairs.

"Who the fuck says bust a move?" She makes fun of me as I grab the potatoes.

"Me, bitch. Let's go eat!"