Chapter 10 : Expensive Mistakes

Keith POV

My feet dragged as I made my way down the winding corridors, towards the showers. The castle felt cold and dark, not warm and comforting like it used to. My mind was ablaze, the friction of my thoughts racing blocked out all sound.

The feeling was familiar to me. When those kids had chased me into the bathroom and I reached for those pills, my mind had been clogged with anger. The small seed of hope couldn't burst through.

I should just take my Lion and save Lance myself.

The others would say it's unsafe to go alone. I had been alone my whole life until Shiro came along and now Shiro was as good as gone. I could confide in him, but I couldn't shake the feeling he was watching me.

The door slid open to the showers. I took a cubicle and peeled my sticky suit and tie away from my body. I flung them over the door so they hung away from the water.

I found the knob and turned the shower on. Pidge had programmed for it to recognise us and retrieve our shower products from anywhere on the ship. A small window opened and out popped my conditioner and shower gel.

I lathered the peppermint gel across my chest and down my body. It was cold against my skin and stung my eyes. The hot water swept it away as I trailed it with my hands.

I had a feeling the team was near a conflict. Maybe it was just me being paranoid but I couldn't shake the feeling that everything was falling apart right in front of me.

As I washed off the stress of the day, my mind wandered and I started to sing.

"There's nothing more cruel than to be loved by everybody but you, to be loved by everybody but you, but you."

"If I can get my shit together, I'm gonna run away and never see any of you again. Never see any of you again."

If I could just leave by myself and find Lance. I would be the catalyst to an explosive reaction.

"I hope the roof flies off and we get flown out into space. I always make such expensive mistakes. I know it's just a number, but you're the 8th wonder. I'll stop wearing black when they make a darker colour."

I picked up the bottle of conditioner from the shelf, humming the tune, and poured some into my hand. I rubbed it into my hair and started to sing again.

"I hate all my friends, I wish the days when I pretended. I hate all my friends, I miss the days when I pretend with you. I miss the da-"

I stopped when I heard the door to the showers slam shut.