Encounters

How many Elves could there be in that big space? A thousand, two thousands, three thousands?

Roswehn had never seen such a multitude, not even the Haradrim in Fornost were so numerous. All scattered around that immense cave that was suddenly illuminated with so many lights. It reminded her of Caras Galadhon.

Roswehn was observing the population of Eryn Galen, and immediately noticed that there were evident social differences: she saw high-class Elves, all of them, male and female, wore silver or golden tiaras on their heads. In addition, the wealthiest descended from the grand stairways that led to the upper rich rooms, like the one that she occupied. Only those who had a certain hierarchical position could live up there, Nim had told her.

And then, there were the inferior caste elves, who lived in caves and wore simple tunics. Many were soldiers, archers, or Elves who worked in the cellars and prisons. She could not see Rael anywhere, and this relieved her : Nim had informed her that Thranduil had sent him on patrol in the West, to the territory infested with spiders.

She did not even see the king.
Moreover, she noticed the looks the Elves were giving her. Many looked at her curiously, many others - especially women - gave her malicious or superior looks. Someone seemed intimidated.

Haldir was waiting for her at the end of the stairs, and as soon as Roswehn had shown herself, he shook his head. "You should have chosen another dress, this is a kind of religious feast for Eryn Galen, that color is inappropriate." he told her, frowning.

"This dress is made by them, it's not mine ..." she replied dryly, thinking of the blue dress that had been sewn with Elrond's velvet and that she was keeping in her closet in Dale.
Sigrid, you were right, honey, she thought, cursing herself for not listening to Bard's daughter. That dress...oh yes...that would have been perfect.

"Besides, I'm not a Mirkwood Elf, I'm not obliged to follow their customs." She added. "Their king wanted me here, I certainly did not queue to enter this place."

"Yes, but you are a guest, you should respect the place that welcomes you." Haldir reproached her. "Anyway, I talked to some of them while you were changing, and... you do not have a nice reputation here, if you want to know."

"Oh really, what do they say about me? That I'm Thranduil's lover?" she smiled.

"No," Haldir replied, turning to look at her. "My lover."

Roswehn was dazed. "Excuse me?"

"No one would believe that a mortal could become the king's lover ... but they often saw you with me and well...the dress you wear will increase the insinuations." he said.

"Have you clarified that we're just friends?" she asked, worried and embarrassed.

"I said that I am escorting you under the orders of lady Galadriel, which has calmed the gossip a little, but I suggest you not to get too close to me tonight." he said.

"I don't know anyone here. Nim has remained in my room, I do not know if she will participate, and Caleth does not speak my language... what should I do, wandering alone here?" the girl answered, as she felt a thrill of anxiety running down her back. "Please, stay with me!"

Haldir tried to reply, but suddenly silence fell. All the lights were turned off at the same time and there was total darkness. "Look up there." the Elf whispered. She looked up and saw that the large intertwined fronds - that basically were the roof of Mirkwood's realm - were widening. A mysterious force was dragging the immense branches away from one another until the night sky was fully visible, with the stars and the moon that immediately illuminated the elven people.