Regan of Arnor

"Any news of Monrose's daughter?" Elrond asked.

"No. I know she left Dale in May, she should have stopped in Eryn Galen only a few days." Lindir answered. They strolled under one of Rivendell's numerous arcades. The day was warm and bright. "D'you think something happened to her? She should have been here by now."

"I'm sure not, she probably chose to stay there for Thranduil," Elrond replied, shaking his head.

"The son of Oropher has the same magnetism of his father, it seems." Lindir smiled. "But that woman will face a deep displeasure if she loses herself in these illusions."

"Don't worry, she is young, she has no experience of the world, she's going through a phase of knowledge and growth. In truth, when I met her I found her very witty and reflective ... unusually reflective. " he added, speaking softly.

"What do you mean?" Lindir asked, curious.
"This girl makes me think of someone, my friend, someone long forgotten, someone who retired from the world before finishing her task." Elrond answered, turning to look at the Elf.

"Who?" the brown-haired councilor did not understand.

"Do you know the story of the Kingdom of Arnor?" Elrond asked.
"Yes, it is a very ancient Realm no longer existing. It was founded by the exiled Numenorians led by Elendil, the son of your brother Elros ... and was once united to Gondor, Elendil was sovereign of both kingdoms. Then, the separation of the two territories brought Valandil, son of Elendil, to take power over Arnor. The kingdom expanded, became powerful and rich ... but the war against Angmar weakened it. It was finally destroyed in the year 1975 of this Age. It is nothing but a stone desert in the mountains." Lindir answered.

"Exactly, you also know that Valandil had a daughter." said Elrond.

"Yes, Princess Regan, who later became a Queen, and who mysteriously disappeared. She was found in the Lindon: she had found refuge among the Green Elves when she realized that Arnor was lost." Lindir explained. "She died in poverty, at eighty-seven years of age."

"She was a great-granddaughter of mine, but I never met her, I know she was an intelligent and sensitive woman, she had heart and charisma, a true heiress of Elendil. You know, if Arnor had not fallen she would have become a legendary Queen, she could have controlled a vast realm, perhaps the greatest ever existed in Middle-earth. " Elrond added.

"But she chose to run away, Elrond, the story says that." Lindir replied.

"Regan suffered a lot in her life: her mother died while giving birth and she, once grown up, experienced the trauma of discovering the corpse of her father, who took his life by ingesting poison. When Valandil realized that the legions of Angmar would invade Arnor, because too numerous, he felt hopeless and chose death: the King of Men did not want to be captured by the Orcs. He left the power in the hands of his daughter, already an adult, believing that she would be spared. The Orcs of Angmar were fortuitously stopped at the border with Arnor, pushed back by the brave soldiers of the Kingdom". Elrond continued, while Lindir listened to him with interest, not knowing these details.
"Regan's choice to go to the Elves was not an act of cowardice. It was the attempt to find peace in a tormented life. "

"Yes, but she abandoned her responsibilities, her people." Lindir objected. "And there are also rumors about her conversion to the cult of Morgoth before she died."

Elrond disagreed. "Arnor was condemned, because previous catastrophic events had decimated the population, and that Kingdom was destined to disappear."
Elrond knew that Regan had also tried to take the remaining population with her, but her subjects, too afraid of leaving their homes, had in fact been condemned to be exterminated by the evil forces of Angmar.