Old scars

"...Lord Thranduil?"

She called him in an uncertain, weak voice, like that of a child. "Lord Thranduil, are you here?"

For Eru's sake, where is he? Roswehn thought, as she slowly advanced into the great cave that was the king's private space. She had already been there, and she remembered the small lake, the spartan furniture, the little colonnade, and that continuous and annoying noise, of drops falling into the water from somewhere.

She looked around anxiously until she noticed a figure sitting under the old tapestry with the symbol of Eryn Galen.

The king sat cross-legged on a large inlaid wooden bench: that day
he was wearing a wine-colored velvet cloak. Under it, his usual black boots and a dark tunic she had never seen before.

The king was holding a glass of Dorwinion in his hands, and this surprised the woman a little. Where did that wine come from, if trades with Dale were interrupted?

"You feel better, I see, I have to reward Nim." he said.
Roswehn moved a little closer to him, keeping the agitation at bay. Calm down, now. Do you remember what you swore at every step down here? No more fantasies, no dreams about this Elf. It's over...it's over, Edith whispered.

"Yes, as always Nim was wonderful, and also Caleth, I have no words to thank your subjects." She said that in a cold and hasty tone, she had decided to quickly finish that meeting and to leave with Haldir as soon as possible. Roswehn would introduce him to her parents and to Bard as her savior and friend.

"You have gone through a terrible experience. I have been told everything and am struck by your strength." he told her, "What happened to you is far from any understanding. Never, in my long life, have I heard similar stories. Now it is all over and you will return to your Kingdom. Thank our Valar because your life has been spared."

"I thank Gandalf, Haldir and Lord Elrond. The Valar, if they exist, have remained confined in their skies." she answered. A few things had been reported to Roswehn too: one was that Thranduil had returned to Mirkwood without thinking twice, rather than helping others in the search. "I am trying hard to convince myself that it has been a nightmare, Lord Thranduil.  Because the moment I'd realize that it really happened, I feel I will lose my mind.  A spirit ... there was a demon inside me ... "

"Don't think about it anymore. Eru had mercy on you. I know that Haldir of Lórien will come with you and this time you will pass from the Eastern side of my territory, there are paths that can be easily crossed." he explained, standing up. "And you'll be glad to know that I have decided to start a new business with your people." He announced that with a brief smile.

"Really?" she was amazed. "Thank you very much. This is important to us."

Thranduil approached a small table in a corner of the room where there was a jug full of red wine. "I realized that it was wrong to interrupt our trades...for both communities."

"Yes, in fact Lord Thranduil ... we should discuss about this commerce ... I mentioned it to you, do you remember?" said Roswehn, catching the king by surprise.

"Would you like to talk business with me?" he asked her, vaguely amused. "Are you qualified?"

"Well ... I do not remember the details accurately, but I was told  about the treaties between my uncle and you." she answered, as her gaze fell on the little lake, which was probably a kind of gigantic bath for the exclusive use of the sovereign. "I had written some notes on a little book that unfortunately was destroyed in the water of the Anduin, when I fell ... but I still have something in mind." She continued, while in a flash a clear image appeared in her mind: Thranduil immersed in that water. Stop it, dammit! She forced herself to concentrate on what she was saying.