Awakening

Haldir watched the red marks on the woman's neck. Something unspeakable had happened in his house.

He had found her laying on the ground, but she had not lost consciousness: her eyes were wide open, and she was looking at the light coming from outside. It seemed as if she was drinking the sun's rays, as if she had desperately missed that warm splendor.

He had gently lifted her up and brought her upstairs, and then laid her down on his bed. He waited for Rùmil, who arrived a few hours after dawn.

"Oh, look," he said, as soon as he saw Roswehn lying. "It didn't take you long, brother."

"Shut up, Rùmil." Haldir answered dryly. "Stay with her, I have to talk to Celeborn."

"Gandalf the Grey has arrived, Celeborn and Galadriel are with him now, he will be here soon." said Riemil, looking puzzled at the woman's neck. "What happened to her?"

"Something too horrible to say, I'm afraid." Haldir looked at Roswehn, who still did not move. "Her mind has been violated, Rùmil, I'm worried for her, I'm afraid she crossed the line and will not return."

The young Elf looked at his brother. "And why should you care, what is this mortal for you?"

Haldir could not find an answer. Usually he always silenced Rùmil, which compared to Orophin was more impetuous and chatty. But that time he did not know how to reply.

"If she moves or says something, be careful." he recommended him, and then he went out in a hurry.

Roswehn kept staring upward. Rùmil tried to talk to her: "This bed is definitely better than that uncomfortable sofa, is not it?"

There was no reaction from the woman.

"I have the impression that my brother is enchanted by you." He told her. "Did you hear me, human woman? You managed to break through his heart, and you know, it's an extraordinary thing."

Roswehn did not move, but Rùmil continued, sitting down on the bed next to her. "Because you see, he never loved anybody, I mean, he had some lovers, but he never fell in love, and it is a real pity that you are bound to the mortal destiny of humans, and that at the moment you're possessed by a ghost, and prey of a crazy passion for an icy king who considers you less than nothing... because if your soul and your heart were free, if you could live forever like us, you and my brother would be happy. "
Rùmil sighed at the woman's silence. "I'm talking to you uselessly, you're in another dimension, aren't you?"

He caught an imperceptible movement in her. She blinked a couple of times. Roswehn began to breathe fast and Rùmil looked at her in alarm. Suddenly, she sat up in bed, as if she had woken up from a nightmare.

"Oh gods of heaven, help me!" said Roswehn, putting a hand to her neck. Then she looked at the Elf with wide eyes. "Where am I?!" Asked.

"You're always at Haldir's place. Be quiet." Rùmil answered. He had to call his brother immediately, but he could not get away. He looked at her with attention: Roswehn's eyes were red, as if they had been dazzled or hurt by something.

"And where is he?" she asked. The girl looked around confused.

"He went to Galadriel, and soon someone will come here to help you, do not be afraid, girl." the Elf reassured her.

"My legs ... oh my legs!" shouted Roswehn, touching them. "I can not feel them anymore, Rùmil! They're dead!"

"What do you mean with: they're dead ?!" he asked. "Yesterday something must have happened to you, this is one of the consequences, I think, but it will pass." he told her to give her courage.