Chapter 5: After Dinner

Start from the beginning

"You want to take it slow?" He asked me. I simply nodded my head, feeling uneasy to speak with the mini panic attack I gave myself. 

"It's okay, baby. I'm sorry for pushing it too far." 

"It's okay," I told him in accepting that sweet empathy. He lightly kissed my cheek. 

We went back to watching some more TV. I sat next to my boyfriend, resting my head on his shoulder while his arm was wrapped behind me, leaving his hand on my arm, soothing it by running his hand up and down in comfort. I looked up at him and when he caught me staring, he swipes his lips across mine. I couldn't help but smile. 

"So about the ball," I mentioned, remembering he did ask me to go. 

"Yeah?" His eyebrow rises up. 

"I'll be your date!" I put on my happy face. 

"Duh!" He lightly smacks his forehead. "I know. You're my girlfriend." 

"But I thought you were asking me to be your date?" I am confused. 

"Yeah, but since you're my girlfriend, you're automatically going." 

"Oh, is that how it works?" I sat up to push my hand against his chest, hard enough for him to fall back a bit on the couch. "Yeah, that's exactly how it works." He playfully said back. 

"That means I have to go dress shopping all by myself." My happy face just went away. I forgot there's this procedure where you have to get the dress, do your hair, have your makeup down, take five hours to get ready and even when the event is starting, you show up late anyway because you were still finishing getting ready. 

"I'll go with you." Mason took the offer. 

"You would go dress shopping with me? Isn't it bad luck to see my dress before the event?"

"Babe, you're thinking of a different event." 

"Oh." 

His eyes were roaming around before he could say something. "You don't want me to go with you, then?" I shook my head no. I feel bad if I burst his bubble. 

"I have to come up with the money for a dress and everything. Why must it be so difficult to be a girl?" 

Mason shifted his body to reach into his back pocket. He pulled out his wallet and held out one of the many cards that are sitting in his wallet. "Here, take this." He wiggled the plastic card to my face. "No", was my first initial thought that I said out loud. "I can't take your money. Wait, where do you have this kind of money where you can just give it away?" 

"My mom's sister owns a company. It's a popular company and #1 worldwide. My mom owns half the business as well. She also works with your mom. That's how they're friends anyway..." 

"So how do you have all this money?" I asked, cutting to the chase. 

"Right. So my mom and my aunt were helping my brother and I save some money for when we get older. Like for college and building a trust fund." 

"And you get to spend your money just like that?" I snapped my fingers. 

"Yeah." 

"I can't accept your money." I flat out told him. 

"I want you to find a nice dress. Please." 

I took the card and put it in my purse. "I'll hold it but I won't touch it." 

He didn't argue back or say anything after that. He's probably glad I took it for a just in case you need it. "So that's how you got a BMW? It's a nice car. I don't know if I told you that." 

"It is a nice car. Actually, my aunt bought it for me when I got my license." 

"The night of your party?" 

"No. Last year,  I turned sixteen. I'm seventeen, remember? You were at my party."

"Barely." I scoffed.

"I want you to like something if you're gonna wear it. Don't worry if it's expensive, just get it, okay?" 

"I'll remember that." He kissed my forehead, both sides to my cheeks, and finally my lips to end the night.