26. Proud

Tyler came home at seven thirty the day the went to the zoo. They had made it back to the Dun residence at around five and Tyler and Josh did in fact take a nap before Josh took Tyler back to his house.

"Hello?" A voice called as Tyler walked into the house. He knew who it belonged to instantly.

"Hey, Debbie," Tyler replied, a sleepy smile on his face as he walked into his large kitchen. He made his way over to island and took a seat at one of the barstools. "Cleaning up from dinner?"

"Yeah," she smiled back, moving to the island as well but spraying it with cleaner instead. "Where have you been all day?"

"I went to the zoo with Josh and his family," he told her. "I held a koala."

"Aw that's cute," she replied. "Did you have fun?"

"Yeah," Tyler nodded. "Do you need any help cleaning up?"

"Nah, I've got it. That's what I get paid for," she laughed. "But if you want you can stay down here and talk to me so it's less lonely."

"Okay. What do you wanna talk about?"

"I um," she took a deep breath as she began scrubbing a spot on the white counter. "I put my two weeks in a little awhile ago. My last day is July 5th."

"Wait you did?" Tyler was taken aback. "Why?"

"I got a job as a receptionist at a dentist office," she smiled. Tyler noticed how tired she looked but how happy she looked as well. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I love you Tyler, I really do, but I can't really put up with your family much longer," she admitted.

"Why do you think I'm leaving in about a month?" He laughed out. "I'm happy for you. You deserve it."

"Yeah," she nodded, the smile growing. "I also talked to Jenna. Since she turned 18 not too long ago her father can't do anything to keep her from me. She told me she missed me and wanted to stay with me for the rest of the summer before she left for Cleveland. She's moving in in a few weeks."

"Oh my God, Debbie that's amazing!"

"I'm really excited," she admitted.

Tyler thought about how they had spent Jenna's birthday. It was similar to Josh's where she invited the same people over and just hung out. He didn't think about how her turning into a legal adult opened up a possible relationship for her and her mother.

"I'm so happy for you," Tyler reiterated. "Even if you are leaving me," he joked.

"I'm really proud of you, Tyler. I know I've only worked for your family for a little over a year but you've grown into an incredible young man and I can't wait to see what you do next."

"Thanks, Debbie," he smiled.

"Of course. Now get out of my kitchen so I can mop."

Tyler laughed and stood up from the stool. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, honey."

Once Tyler reached his room, he flopped down onto his. Although he took a two hour nap, he was still exhausted. From next to him, he phone suddenly went off and he looked it in confusion when he saw the caller ID said Josh. As much as he loved (quite literally) him, he was concerned as to why he was calling when they just saw each other fifteen minutes ago. Then he started to worry that something might have happened to him. Quickly, he accepted the call and put it on speaker. "Hello?" He answered, his voice frantic.

"Hello to you too," Josh laughed. Tyler let out a relieved sigh.

"Sorry. I thought something might have happened to you since we just saw each other. What's up?"

"Wow am I not allowed to talk to my best friend after I've seen him all day?" Josh joked, faux hurt in his voice.

"No, Josh," Tyler laughed out. "I was just scared something might have happened to you since you were driving. That's all. What did you call about?"

"Do you know what today is?"

"Um... is it Jim's birthday?"

"No. I don't even know Jim's birthday."

"Good because I still don't like your dog."

"Tyler!"

"Oops," Tyler snickered. He slid down his screen to check the date. "It's June 29th."

"Yes."

"Why is that important?"

"Because the Fourth of July is coming up."

"Okay... why is that important?"

"Because I'm going out of town," Josh explained.

"Oh," Tyler responded. He was hoping Josh would want to spend the day with him and watch the fireworks together. It wouldn't mean anything, obviously, but it would make Tyler a little happier. "Where are you going?"

"My aunt and uncle's farm."

"I hope you have fun," Tyler told him, hoping he sounded as enthusiastic as he could. He didn't want to ruin Josh's trip by being petty.

"I will. You wanna know why?"

"Why?"

"Because you're coming with me," Josh told him and he could hear the smile in his voice.

"Says who?" Tyler replied cheekily.

"Me. Well, and my parents and aunt and uncle. Since they live on a farm I asked if you could come with since it was on your list to visit a farm and they have horses there too so my cousin could teach you to ride one."

"Are you sure? I don't wanna intrude."

"You're a part of the family might as well meet your extended members."

Tyler couldn't help but smile. "Are you positive?"

"As positive as my mom's pregnancy test nine months before she popped me out."

"Oh my God I hate you," Tyler groaned.

"I know you do," Josh replied. "So are you down to come with? Please say yes I don't want to be without you until I have to."

"Okay, yes," he chuckled. "I'll go. I just have to let my parents know. They probably won't even realize I'm gone."

"Awesome. Not about your parents, about you going with me. We're leaving the morning of the fourth and they only live like an hour and a half away so we'll come pick you up at seven."

"Got it. Thanks, Josh. I'm happy I'm a Dun."

"I'm happy too."