TEN

Chapter 10

Doris watched Gemima fly away on her beautiful wings before following Adam towards a restaurant. She wiggled as something itched down her back. She wiggled again but the itching feeling wouldn't go. She reached her hand to the middle of her back and nearly screamed when she came to know her hair was now reaching mid-back.

A slight wind blew causing her hair to flutter wildly in an anti-gravity manner. She spat a strand of hair that had first tickled her nose and then found a way to enter her mouth.

"I hate long hair," she said through clenched teeth, trying to smooth down the wayward strands.  A scary image crossed her mind- her hair reaching the road, sweeping along Pepsi cans and chocolate wrappers while she tripped everywhere. Oh and Adam laughing all the time. She shuddered, feeling sorry for Rapunzel suddenly.

They decided to eat something at a nearby restaurant, Excellente Croissant, before anything else. There were very few people around at this time of the night. It was Adam's idea actually and Doris agreed as long as she could just sit down and read.

"Stop staring at me," Doris said, without looking up from the diary. She didn't need to look to find out she could feel the spidey sense that people get when someone's staring at them

Adam made an indignant face, "Me? N-no." He waited for Doris to say something but when she didn't he continued, "I'm just curious. What does the diary say?"

"Its personal," Doris said, before biting into her croissant bread.

Adam made a disappointed face and began to eat his food quietly. Doris looked up, surprised at the sudden peace and quiet.

"Its mostly about her experiences and here and there her powers are mentioned. She was a really talented witch. The ice power can be used to done a lot of things. She could teleport, you know. She has written a bit about it. I'm thinking of trying it," Doris said.

Adam nodded, "I'm sure you could do it."

Doris let out a sigh, "Thanks.  I suppose however many times I say I'm sorry it won't really make a difference?"

Adam smiled, "It's not your fault that you loved fairytales so much and didn't know that they were actually real."

"I hate my six-year-old self," Doris stated with a scowl.

Adam looked into her eyes, "How did you change so much?"

"What do you mean?" Doris asked, eyebrows raised.

"I just can't understand someone believing in fairytales so much growing up to be the one telling the tinytots that Santa is not real," Adam referred to Doris' only time with the tinytots at their school.

"Hey, they needed to know the truth," Doris defended herself.

"I dressed up as Santa the next day and they nearly killed me in anger!"

Doris laughed, "Really?"

"I still have some of the scars," Adam said in a secretive whisper.

"Serve you right," Doris grinned, reverting her eyes back at the diary.

Adam got up to stretch up his legs, "I'll just come back."

Doris nodded without looking up. After turning a few pages her eyes fell on an entry. It was about mind-portals. Supposedly, some faeries could open mind-portals of others and talk to them telepathically. Doris drew a breath. What if her dream about Dad was not actually a dream? What if he was actually trying to communicate with him?