Prologue | 10 years ago

10 years ago

Doris McQueen was an exceptional child for her age and her father was a proud man. You see, her father believed that a child could be groomed to perfection right from an early age and most, if not all, of the brain development happens by the time a child reaches the age of six.  Alexander didn't want his daughter to be any less than any other child in the world just because his wife went out shopping one day and never returned.

So, Doris' sixth birthday was no cause for celebration to Alexander. The day could only mean two things. One, the time for brain development of his child was over and second, he had two hours to clinch a very profitable deal. A deal that didn't require a highly bored six-year-old jumping all around his study.

"Dad, I'm bored!"

Alexander McQueen looked at his six year old daughter over the top of his glasses, his tired brown eyes catching her energetic brown ones and sighed, "I'm busy right now."

Alexander was indeed a busy man. One does not simply enter the Forbes list of successful men without being busy and important. McQueen Enterprises were everywhere you looked in NY. If there was a successful venture, McQueen Enterprises were never far behind. The boss of such a company does not expect himself to be a babysitter. There are always new companies to takeover and new plans to be implemented.

Try explaining this to a dimpled six-year-old and you will get the same reply as Alexander did- a yawn.

Alexander heaved another sigh this time scratching his crop of dark brown hair, "How about we play a game?"

Doris' eyes widened with joy, "Really? A game?"

"Yes," nodded Alexander from behind his laptop. "It's called...Life Goal?"

Doris lay her head on the table, waiting for some more explanation about this new game.

"Take a piece of paper and write down what you want from life. What you want to achieve in life," Alexander's fingers were simultaneously typing a letter to the CEO of his subsidiary company underlining the week's objective.

Alexander believed that being slow in life was a sin. Always be two steps ahead of others-one of his many mottos. He had learnt it the hard way but once he learnt it he never let go. This was why Doris, at the age of six, could not only read but also write exceptionally well in English as well as Spanish (unilinguality was parallel to laziness according to Alexander) as well as solve most maths problems that a thirteen year-old wouldn't be able to.

Doris made a face, not really understanding the game, "And how do we win at this game?"

Alexander felt proud. His daughter seemed to have the thirst for winning. Very instrumental in the corporate world. He said, "Easy. You do your best to achieve them and the day you can tick all your life goals, you've won!"

"O-kay," said Doris slowly. "Do I get a prize for winning?"

Alexander's phone began to ring and he waved a hand towards Doris dismissing her.

"But Dad, I need paper for-" Doris began.

"Doris, my dear child, Daddy's busy. Come, I'll help you," the soft lilting voice made the little girl jump. Aunt Gemima seemed to materialize out of thin air, offering a hand. She was Doris' maternal aunt and god-mother (fairy god-mother, Aunt used to joke sometimes). It was Doris' belief that her aunt was a hundred years old. Silver-streaked hair and slightly wrinkling skin, Gemima Merryweather looked older than what she said she was.

Gemima had never married and only once fallen in love. When her sister had been alive, Gemima had stayed away from her. They had never been able to agree on anything no matter how trivial it was. Over the years she had started to visit the McQueen household again. Today was special since it was Doris' birthday. Entering the house, Gemima had hugged Doris telling her that she had great plans for the day.