After checking that the way was clear, they went back to their waiting taxi. It was already getting dark but for once Doris didn't worry about the deadline getting closer. She was so tired that as soon as the car started her eyelids closed and she drifted off to sleep.

Adam smiled as her head lolled towards her side. She wasn't as stoic as she acted. Deep down, they were all the same. Confused, scared of the unknown and wary of change. As the car took a sharp turn Doris' body slipped towards Adam and her head rested on his shoulder.

Adam couldn't help thinking what a funny thing inertia was.

Doris was having a nice dream. She was solving a long Calculus question and she knew at first glance the answer was going to come right. Her father was sitting in the teacher's chair and he was praising her problem-solving skills. She felt guilty even in her dream because unknown to her father she was still confused whether to follow is footsteps into the corporate world or pursue further scientific studies.

Her father caught her hand suddenly and whispered, "Doris...Doris...Doris..."

"Yeah, Dad? I heard you the first time," Doris said.

"Doris?"

"Yes, Dad?" Doris asked.

"Can you hear me?" Alexander looked around, eyes unfocused.

"Yes, I'm right in front of you," Doris said, wondering what was happening with her Dad. Old age, she supposed.

Alexander smiled, "Then your powers do work. Arabella used to communicate with me like this. You're awake?"

"Yes and what are you doing in my school?" Doris asked, clearly not aware that she was dreaming.

Alexander scratched his stubble, "School? Laurine told me you're trying to fulfil the stupid deal."

"I-I was," Doris said slowly. "I think I am dreaming because the last thing I remember is sitting in a taxi in Paris."

"Paris!?" Alexander screeched. "You're all alone in Paris? So far from home?"

"Don't worry," Doris assured. "I have friends."

"Not a faerie please," Alexander groaned.

Doris was going to tell him that she was with family, that is Aunt Gemima, but Alexander quickly said, "Someone's coming. I'll talk again. Don't trust anybody."

Alexander vanished from the teacher's desk and Doris was left standing next to a blackboard wondering how to wake up from a dream.

"Oye, stop drooling over shoulder and wake up!"

Doris turned around to see her classmates looking blankly at her. Who had spoken? Adam got up up from his seat and walked to her.

"I can solve the question, Adam," she said, referring to the Calculus question on the board. "No need to act over-smart and show-off."

But Adam didn't want to solve the question. He took hold of her shoulder and began to shake her like he was mad or something.

"Wake up, Doris, wake up!

Doris woke up with a shout, "I'm awake! Stop shaking me." Adam was right in her face. His stormy grey eyes stared into hers. She looked back defiantly but he wouldn't move.

"I know I'm very pretty," Doris said in an irritated voice, "but stop staring at me."

"I wasn't staring at you because you're pretty because you're not," he replied looking away. "You wouldn't wake up and you spoiled my shirt by drooling over it."

"Can't help it. Its normal human behaviour," Doris said nonchalantly even though she was furious with herself for having slept on Adam's shoulder.

"Except you're not human," Adam smiled sweetly.

"You think you're being very appealing by passing such remarks but you're not so stop trying."

"Will you both stop fighting and give me my money? I need to go home," the taxi driver said in a thick French accent.

"Sorry," Adam fished out the money from his back pocket. "Thank you."

They stepped out in the slightly cold air and Doris smiled as soon as she laid her eyes on one of the most beautiful things in the world-the Eiffel Tower. It radiated a kind of excitement, a daring power to go ahead and try something new. So, this was the place where cupid was most active, huh? Hopefully cupid wasn't an undercover faerie.

Doris was lucky that she saw the lovely piece of architecture at night because it was lighted up in the best way possible. Hundreds of delightful lights against a background of the darkest navy-blue sky. It was here that Doris came to know that the sky is never really black at night. It's a kind of navy-blue. A nice colour, she thought.

"Oh I love the Eiffel Tower. It's beautiful," Adam said, getting all excited. "You'll agree with me on this surely?"

Doris would rather jump off the Eiffel Tower than agree with her sworn enemy from the school. "It's actually very over-rated, I think," she lied. "Rusty piece of metal. No use at all."

"You're mad," Adam said, feeling sorry for someone with so less appreciation for beauty.

"You two are so late!" Gemima's voice came from somewhere on the right. She had indeed been shopping. Sporting a new wardrobe and a giant Dior bag she was making tutting noises from the sidewalk.

"Aunt Gemima!" cried Doris, happy to see her aunt still hanging around.

"We were chased by guards from Cinderella town," Adam quipped angrily.

"Aww, you're so adorable when you're angry," Gemima said, sarcasm dripping from her tone. "So another part of the deal crossed off?"

Doris took out the deal and sure enough point two had been crossed in black ink.

Gemima nodded, "Good work, kiddos! And we are at the hairdresser's so the next part should be done too."

"Here?" Doris asked, looking around for a hairdresser's shop.

"No there," Gemima pointed.

Doris followed her finger, "At the top of the Eiffel Tower?"

"Yup she had her own, secret little apartment there. See ya at the top, wingless minions," Gemima laughed and flew towards the tower.

"I hate it when she does that," Adam commented. "Did you see what she was putting in her purse? A rose! She had been buying roses while we have been chased all around the place."

They sighed sadly and began their walk towards the tower. When they reached the base, Doris began to appreciate its height. They would have taken the lift but there was a long line for it. Apparently all the tourists in the world had decided to see the tower tonight.

Doris began walking with a purposeful intent. It was a long walk and Adam had to stop at every step and wonder at how the city looked beautiful from this altitude and how the people looked like ants. The boy seemed to have endless reserves of energy.

They reached the top most floor and found Gemima happily sipping black tea while enjoying the view.

"Oh you two finally made it," she said happily.

Doris sat down. Her legs felt like lead and her body ached all over. For someone who hardly ever stepped out of her house, this long climb was the worst exercise in the world.

Adam, who was the star soccer player at school, didn't seem much tired. However, even he needed to sit down.

"Where's...the hairdresser?" Doris finally managed to say.

"Here I am. Ask autographs later!"

▪️▫️▪️▫️▪️

I'm not joking, there is, indeed, a secret apartment at the top of the Eiffel Tower built by the guy himself, Gustav Eiffel! From what I know, it has mannequins OF Eiffel and Edison inside.

After that fun fact of the day, I ask you to be awesome and VOTE for this chapter if you enjoyed it!